Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cosworth Body Kit; fitting help
Topic Started: Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:05 pm (3,264 Views)
alan
Member Avatar
hmmmm interesting
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
how hard is it to fit a cosworth body kit any suggestions on how to do it or is it better left to the pros
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dave_irl
Member Avatar
Defector
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's all about having new or good clips, and all of them. If you take off the kit (16v or otherwise) you will see all the various clips holding it on, and many can and will break during removal. Its all fairly straight swap stuff, the only exception is the drilling of two holes in the rear lower wing, where the wrap-around sections of the rear valence will attach to.
Is your car pre- or post-facelift? i.e. does it have lower bodycladding on the doors etc instead of an impact strip? if its an early model you would have lots of little holes to drill in your doors to get the cladding clips in!

See the pinned bodyclip diagram thread in this section.

CrysAk
Member Avatar
Moar Bass!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
also may have to drill holes for the arches? , or remove the bolts and jsut glue it on or something?

*cough* i have half a cossy bodykit lying around if your interested :P

dave_irl
Member Avatar
Defector
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CrysAk
Jan 9 2008, 04:22 PM
also may have to drill holes for the arches? , or remove the bolts and jsut glue it on or something?

Sorry I never investigated the arches as Im flaring out my existing ones but I believe they are either bonded or bolted on :)

MTI
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
The body cladding for both the update Sacco panels and the 16 valve kit use the existing holes in all the W201 door panels. I think the only additional holes that need to be drilled are for the small rear arch piece and the holes in the front wings since the flares bolt on.

dave_irl
Member Avatar
Defector
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MTI
Jan 9 2008, 05:12 PM
The body cladding for both the update Sacco panels and the 16 valve kit use the existing holes in all the W201 door panels. I think the only additional holes that need to be drilled are for the small rear arch piece and the holes in the front wings since the flares bolt on.

But if you were trying to puc a 16v kit on a pre-update car that had no Sacco panels, you'd need extra holes along the bottom of the doors, correct?

CrysAk
Member Avatar
Moar Bass!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
you need to drill the rear bumper also as the 16v bumper has the bolts in a different place (where teh clips are for the cladding on the 8v) .. i think

in all if you got a drill its not too much of an issue so long as you can line stuff up ok :P

MTI
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
There are no separate or special part numbers for the door skin/panel for the 16, pre or post update W201, so all the pieces are the same.

A 4th hole does need to be drilled behind the rear arch to fasten the rear valance since that mounting point is unique to the 16 valve lower valance.

CrysAk
Member Avatar
Moar Bass!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MTI
Jan 9 2008, 07:21 PM
There are no separate or special part numbers for the door skin/panel for the 16, pre or post update W201, so all the pieces are the same.

A 4th hole does need to be drilled behind the rear arch to fasten the rear valance since that mounting point is unique to the 16 valve lower valance.

i was told the cladding for the 16v is slightly different to fit the sideskirts?

Lewis 190E 2.5 16
Member Avatar
W201
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CrysAk
Jan 9 2008, 07:25 PM
MTI
Jan 9 2008, 07:21 PM

i was told the cladding for the 16v is slightly different to fit the sideskirts?

The door cladding is different (slighty different profile)
As said above the rear needs a hole drilled for the rear bumper to fit on (you will have a clip instead of a hole and bolt etc)

alan
Member Avatar
hmmmm interesting
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
well think ill just get a body shop to do it as it is an '86 with no body panels on at the mo and the thought of drillin all those holes dont appeal to me

it wouldnt be too expensive if its just to fit and not spray any idea of what sort of money i might have to pay???

CrysAk
Member Avatar
Moar Bass!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so long as they dont run into rust it should be farily cheap i think

but from personal exp, really look around good for a respectable and well recommenced bodyshop (even if its a quid more) half the shops out there cut corners and rush projects to no end :/

alan
Member Avatar
hmmmm interesting
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
used to go to a good one did all the local garages but that was when i was back in n.ierland so gona have to use a mate recomended one but fingers crossed aboput the rust tho shouldnt be any fairly solid the front wings were replaced before i got her but rears got chrome stips so a bit worried after reading how bad they can be

190ian
190ian
[ *  *  * ]
If you are going to get new clips screws ect your talking round about 50, That was from mercedes tho.
I still havent finshed spraying my side skirts yet so this will help me out as well when it comes to fitting.

Lewis 190E 2.5 16
Member Avatar
W201
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Clean the area first once done its a case of drilling a hole there, as on the 16v there is a hole there and a bolt with a large washer (112,119) it then screws onto there, ill try and dig up some pictures.

Posted Image

As you can see above, also the top lip are not held on by clips but screws see 116. you will need rail 2018851021 right and rail left 2018850921 and then screw it on all the bits are cheap (2.96 for rail left and another 2.96 for rail right then you need to order the screws and bolts)

Once you have drilled the hole you can just get the bolt and washer and screw it in. you will also need the rail and screws, i've fitted a kit before and its really not that hard.

But just make sure the inner bumper has been cleaned and the bodywork, while you are there waxoil the area before putting the bumper on as they rust there and around near those areas...

Again side skirts are east, there are two bolts 8mm on the bottom of the wings and i think a screw at the rear of the skirt that attaches to the dog leg piece (the bit next to the door cladding) Then there are 8mm bolts that run along the bottom, you will also need to open the door to undo all the screws to remove the skirts...

alan
Member Avatar
hmmmm interesting
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
cheers for that def gona leave it to the pros would it be better to get them to stick it on or get them a load of new clips and go that route what is the best route in the long run

CrysAk
Member Avatar
Moar Bass!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
personaly would spend a few extra quid and get them all the new bolts/clips they need and save them any excuses to cut corners

alan
Member Avatar
hmmmm interesting
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
well looks like im takin a run down stealership then anywhere else that would do it cheaper???

FloodIC
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I've bought a cosworth kit and going to try fit it. I'm worried about drilling the holes in the correct place. Any advise?

In regards to the diagram above. The lowest part (to the left of the side panel of the bumper). What is it as I didn't get it with the kit. I think it's part 89 and 92. The diagram just cuts out the parts numbers.

Silver star
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi Ciaran, if your cars is 1992 the kit is pretty easy to attach, from my experience the most important thing is to have good clips and lot of patience to pop it on carefully.

Did you by that from Mervin in Laois? Good guy, I bought my rear subframe from him when he was breaking the last one

FloodIC
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Yeah I did. First one to pop up since his last one. Where you put with him got stuck stripping the car in pissing of rain. Savage sheds he has. Kit was missing two parts so have to try find them somewhere

Silver star
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
No he had the frame dropped out before I went down because someone else bought the rear shocks and springs.

He had the old car in a barn? He did tell me that he had other cars though...

I actually called him about the interior in that car but its too rich for my blood. I want one cheap that I can pull apart and recover.

FloodIC
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Yeah it's in grand condition. No cracks that I noticed although I didn't go for the interior so never paid much attention. He was a bit over prices alrigh at about 100 to 150 more than I was willing to pay. But it's the first one to pop up since his last one.

wazb
[ * ]
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have the part numbers for the rear arches of the kit? i have the number 2016 90 15 40 but i think this is for the front arch?

stwat
Member Avatar

wazb
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have the part numbers for the rear arches of the kit? i have the number 2016 90 15 40 but i think this is for the front arch?
I've replied to your PM, with part numbers. Each arch is different and has its own part number.
Edited by stwat, Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 pm.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Bodywork & Exterior · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys