Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Brake Setup
Topic Started: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:11 pm (9,223 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Administrator - Hawk Eye

This thread is for everything to do with Brake setup for Track use.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Hi folks

We have now a new alternative for big brake set ups for the 2.3-2.5-16 (will probably cover other models but for the moment we are using the cossies as prototypes)

There is one organisation that will be supplying the Caliper adapters (machined or non machined) and the rest is pretty much DIY.

Calipers radial mounting - Porsche Brembo 4 piston calipers from models (996c/997c/turbo/Boxster/) these are going for around Ģ300 for a decent second hand set. Brmbo calipers can also be used.

Discs - Zimmermann cross drilled 320mmx28mm or 330mmx28mm, These are currently not available in the UK but after a few chats with the folks from GSF, They can supply these discs for Ģ49.00 per disc.

Adapters - these will be supplied by http://www.mbt-engineering.de/ for 4 piston calipers and 330mmx28mm disc combination, they will be using their (mbt 140) adapter which can cover All Brembo callipers with a radial mounting design and bolt distances up to 142 or max. 150 can be fitted.

Mbt supplies machined adapters which are ready to use, I already have a a price for the machined adapters but I think it needs more negotiation. for a pair of machined adatpers the price was around 350..00 euros.. (my lap top went nutts on me and i lost a lot of data including emails)

things to remember... heat shields must be modified, wheel size and off set to ensure that they can take the calipers...wheel size minimum 17".

there are also options for 6 piston calipers.

we are just checking the steering knuckle details for the adapter to ensure that the measurements that MBT have are the same as the 2.3-25-16's.

Folks! I will post the contact person at MBT Engineering so if anyone has any techie questions you can mail them directly.. I'm not very good with technical stuff so if any techie gurus out there want to help with the development of these adapters and these diy kits will be apreciated...

cheers
Mazza

dave_irl
Member Avatar
Defector
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mazza, thats just great work right there, nice one :)

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
hey!

if anyone wants to search German ebay for Porsche brembo calipers just use this...

"Porsche brembo 4 kolben bremssattel"
(4 piston)

Vorne - front
Hinten - rear

Hope this helps

mazza

dave_irl
Member Avatar
Defector
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I already have some Alcon/Brabus 4 pots but the brackets may come in useful! Still looking for a useful solution for the rear though :)

zoomer46
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
just a thought,

can you put the front discs and calipers on the rear?

is it a straight bolt on ?
Edited by zoomer46, Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:16 am.

dave_irl
Member Avatar
Defector
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well Im putting rear calipers from a bigger set up onto my smaller car, so anything is possible and can be made fit I guess :)

carl mcgraw
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I have an 8-pot set-up on 330 discs...wow..!!

It's for sale, you know ;-D

zoomer46
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
i saw them at steves once,the wp ones,

how much you want?

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Folks

Ok!! here's the contact details for the Universal adapters

http://www.mbt-engineering.de/

contact - Uwe Braun email- mbt.gbr@t-online.de

If anyone is interested...just email Uwe with what type of calipers you are planning to get and he will give you advice and what adapters to use etc..

cheers
mazza

dave_irl
Member Avatar
Defector
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Mazza, can these guys make up bells(hats) for using two piece discs?

As I have found the rotors I want (294x28mm) but so far am looking at custom bells..

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
dave_irl
Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:47 am
Hey Mazza, can these guys make up bells(hats) for using two piece discs?

As I have found the rotors I want (294x28mm) but so far am looking at custom bells..
Hi mate

not sure...send Uwe an email...just mention your're from our forum...he already knows about us..and that he might get questions from us....
I need to ask him a couple of questions also...so I'll add this question too..

cheers

Racing
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Simple and works EXTREMELY well;

AMG C32.

Find a set at a wrecker.Complete with discs at least around here weīre talking like 400 pounds.
Have 4 shims turned on a lathe that are 3mm thick.

Bolt the twp calipers apart.
Toss the 4 "lose" pieces/caliper halves around so that the inlet port of resp caliper points downwards.
Install.
Get flexlines cut to lenght.(Goodridge or similar)
OEM C32 discs are 345mm dia and fits spot on the 201 hub.

If your car isnīt a valver,replace master cyl with a used one from a 500SL-also from wrecker.

There you have more than ample brakes thatīll make the ABS work like a madman when going all out at 100mph on dry when on regular street radials.
Simple,cheap,effective and all mercedes.
No need for adapters or anything the likes.
Just the 4pcs of shims stated.

Difference in braking performance vs the OEM valver isnīt even funny...

Edit.
The install out of quite obvious reasons renders you using 17" wheels.
Edited by Racing, Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:33 am.

topcat
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Racing
Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:32 am
Simple and works EXTREMELY well;

AMG C32.

Find a set at a wrecker.Complete with discs at least around here weīre talking like 400 pounds.
Have 4 shims turned on a lathe that are 3mm thick.

Bolt the twp calipers apart.
Toss the 4 "lose" pieces/caliper halves around so that the inlet port of resp caliper points downwards.
Install.
Get flexlines cut to lenght.(Goodridge or similar)
OEM C32 discs are 345mm dia and fits spot on the 201 hub.

If your car isnīt a valver,replace master cyl with a used one from a 500SL-also from wrecker.

There you have more than ample brakes thatīll make the ABS work like a madman when going all out at 100mph on dry when on regular street radials.
Simple,cheap,effective and all mercedes.
No need for adapters or anything the likes.
Just the 4pcs of shims stated.

Difference in braking performance vs the OEM valver isnīt even funny...

Edit.
The install out of quite obvious reasons renders you using 17" wheels.
This is exactly the sort of thing I like to hear! But- you lost me a bit on the caliper mod... and do the calipers bolt straight on front and rear or do you need adapters made up?

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
HI Guys

just a quick heads up regarding a possible alternative Brembo aluminium 4 piston caliper that shares the same bolting (centre to centre) distance as our w201's.

IMPORTANT- this is not a straight swap, this is more for those that are converting w201's into retro track cars

The calipers are from the Maserati GT3200/4200

Calipers are BREMBO aluminium calipers 4 piston for discs 330x32 (so plenty of ventilation) it can be used with smaller diameter brake discs.

Disc height will have to be 35-40mm (will try and create a template to get correct height) 16v disc height is 44mm...so not too far off.

Wheel off set will have to be checked as these bad boys are slightly wide.

I bought these calipers for 134.00 pair, there are more and more apearing on ebay..

Calipers next to ATE 4 piston caliper

Posted Image
Shot at 2011-08-04

hope this info is of help to anyone

cheers
mazza

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Hi

additional image

Posted Image

mazza

85matt190
Member Avatar
WINNING!
[ *  * ]
wait are you compairing that to the stock 16v caliper?
how wide is the actual caliper itself?

I'm trying to see if size is compairable to 500e brembos...

it may be possible to make a small bracket to mount it to the stock holes to move itout the extra 4mm or possibly use offset bolts (probably a bad idea for a brake caliper)
but then you may also need to space out the discs a bit as well.
Ive been contemplating selling my 500e alu brembos as I just have the fronts, and no MC or booster, so i think for the money I could get for the calipers I wouldn't be far from a full 400e brake converion (front&rear, MC, booster) but these look sexy and if thats a common price for them, relatively cheap...
Edited by 85matt190, Thu Aug 4, 2011 5:50 pm.

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
85matt190
Thu Aug 4, 2011 5:46 pm
wait are you compairing that to the stock 16v caliper?
how wide is the actual caliper itself?

I'm trying to see if size is compairable to 500e brembos...

it may be possible to make a small bracket to mount it to the stock holes to move itout the extra 4mm or possibly use offset bolts (probably a bad idea for a brake caliper)
but then you may also need to space out the discs a bit as well.
Ive been contemplating selling my 500e alu brembos as I just have the fronts, and no MC or booster, so i think for the money I could get for the calipers I wouldn't be far from a full 400e brake converion (front&rear, MC, booster) but these look sexy and if thats a common price for them, relatively cheap...
Hello fella

The ATE calipers are from the w124 300-24v, discs 295x22, the 16v were fitted with 284x22mm discs and run a single piston fist type caliper.

The 500e/EVO2/R129 were fitted with Brembo alluminium calipers, discs 300x28mm height 45mm

With regards to the bracket to move the caliper further back, yes! it can be done but then you are looking at increasing the wheel size to 18 inches, 17" is a really tight fit...can be done but I like a bit more space between components.

the width of the Brembo caliper is 160mm.

the optimum set up would be to have a 2 piece brake disc with aluminium bell to minimise the weight up front...this is my initial route towards weight loss.

To give you an example, the Mercedes steel disc that is fitted to the Evo's and 500e's weighs 8kgs. A 330x32 (Mercedes steel disc ex CLK) weighs 12kgs...you can see where I'm going with this..a 2 piece brake disc with alloy bell weighs approx 3.5 to 4kgs.

Initial cost for a 2 piece disc brake is not going to be cheap....

I'm running very light weight oz evo alloys 17 x 8.5 et25 loads of space to accomodate these calipers

I made a template bracket to accomodate 330x32 disc and to work with 44mm disc height...as you can see from the image...the 330mm doesnt quite fill the calipers...I'm waiting for a contact to advise the min/max discs that these calipers can take.

Posted Image

Posted Image

hope this helps out

mazza

85matt190
Member Avatar
WINNING!
[ *  * ]
so you have that caliper mounted with a mercedes disk?

I have 16" TSW hockenheims, Honestly I'm not sure of the ET atm, but I have to put on 5mm spacers to run my alu 500e brakes. they are the 300mmx29mm disks iirc.

my wheels are pretty light (~22lbs w/o tires) with 215/50s but if thats compairing them to the 300e caliper then I believe the size of those is very similar to the 500e

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
85matt190
Thu Aug 4, 2011 8:50 pm
so you have that caliper mounted with a mercedes disk?

I have 16" TSW hockenheims, Honestly I'm not sure of the ET atm, but I have to put on 5mm spacers to run my alu 500e brakes. they are the 300mmx29mm disks iirc.

my wheels are pretty light (~22lbs w/o tires) with 215/50s but if thats compairing them to the 300e caliper then I believe the size of those is very similar to the 500e
Hi

nope! That 330x32 disc was only used for measuring diameters, brake disc height, etc.

The plan is to use the 16v original caliper mounting holes and have a light weight 2 piece disc made to fit the calipers. The diameter of the discs wont be much bigger than 300mm but will be wider by 4 mm.

mazza

85matt190
Member Avatar
WINNING!
[ *  * ]
ah, i see.
wow, custom 2-piece rotors... seems expensive...

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
85matt190
Fri Aug 5, 2011 5:17 pm
ah, i see.
wow, custom 2-piece rotors... seems expensive...
Hi

The initial hit wont be cheap thats for sure..as you have to pay for the alloy bell..the disc itself is affordable

Small price to pay for less warping and lighter equipment..and remember! if you can buy a pair of these calipers for PS 150.00..you are saving enough money to buy the 2 piece discs.

mazza

190EK
[ * ]
Hi, I have in my car:

front: Caliper Brembo 4 pot from Mercedes S class 2007, and disc 330x32 from Mercedes ML class 2009. Direct application, very easy.

Rear: Complet set form Mercedes SLK (R170), disc and caliper.

1morebenz
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Has anyone considered using the Brembo brake calipers from a Cadillac CTS-V?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-07-Cadillac-CTS-V-Brembo-4-Piston-Front-Calipers-89047726-27-Pin-Kit-19264181-/192379295558?fits=Model%3ACTS%7CSubmodel%3AV

I'm sure mounting wouldn't be difficult nor would parts be difficult to find.

What rotors would you recommend for this brake caliper, 330x26mm?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Track/Racing Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys