Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to replace heater blower control switch; Step by step guide on how to get access to the blower/fan slider
Topic Started: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:39 pm (4,652 Views)
kjahmad
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Hey All

After using the site and finding it so very useful i have decided to give something back.

My heater switch on my non a/c 190e stopped working last winter and i bought one which turned out to be for an a/c model. It still works but the vent doesnt close as the a/c switch does this electronically.

Now i have got hold of one with the manual adjustment so thought i'd add a guide for those of you whose switches need replacing!

ENJOY!!!

Khurram
Edited by kjahmad, Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kjahmad
Member Avatar
[ * ]
First of all remove the 2 screws which are under the centre vents. A small/angled screwdriver will help you get to them but you may have to remove the vents.

Posted Image

Next remove the round control knobs and switch knob(more than one if you have a/c). You should be able to pull these off by hand otherwise use grips but protect controls with cloth

Once you've done that you'll see the bulbs and 3 large nuts. Loosen these using pliers but the rest you can remove by hand

Posted Image

Next open the ashtray and take tray out using the slider. Once out you can see 2 screws. Undo these and you will be able to take out the ashtray housing. You may need to put your gearstick back (ie away from console). Once out, swing it to once side as it will still be connected by a thick wire.

Once this is out there will be 2 screws visible. Remove these.

Posted Image

If you need to, remove the stereo.
Now we are ready to remove the console - not all the way, just enough to see the controls. Pull it from the bottom first.

Posted Image

This exposes the heater controls.

Posted Image

This top switch is what we want to remove

Posted Image

If you have a non a/c model, you will need to remove the cable. This is simply done by lifting the cable end from the mini post and pull from from its holder.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turn the 2 white plastic plugs using an allen key. A half turn is all that is required.

Posted Image

Now we can pull the switch away and unplug it from the back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All done! Replacement is simply reverse of above! Just remember to insert the fan switch FIRST back into the console. The others will fall into place.

Posted Image

And there you have it!! Hope you've enjoyed reading this and someone finds it useful!

Khurram

Edited by kjahmad, Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:20 pm.

Simon Revill
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Fantastic - even I hope I can follow that ...... :)

Thanks

Simon

frank133
frank133
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have done this in the past but didnt take photos
nice of you to take the effort,I love the way these 190s are put together,

dudman
[ * ]
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can see the photos on the ‘How to replace a heater blower switch’ post, http://mercedes-190.co.uk/topic/6652404/1/ ?

My 1991 blower switch is not working, I don’t thinks it’s the motor as last year the motor was fine, sometimes I had to wrestle with the blower switch to get the fan working but now nothing works. Not ideal in winter conditions.

My car is a non-AC 1997cc model, registered Feb 1991, I think the OEM part number is 2018201810 can anyone confirm as looks like I need to source from a scrap yard?

Thanks for any help

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Technical Information & How To Guides/Walkthroughs · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys