Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Have You Been Up To With Your Non 190 Mercedes Today
Topic Started: Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:37 am (30,300 Views)
stwat
Member Avatar

Today, I arve bin mostly, fitting new plugs, greasing the throttle linkages which has cured the heavy throttle pedal and allowed the arm to click on the throttle cut off switch every time I lift off. Took the dizzy cap off to clean it out and clean the rotor arm. My god, the bottom bolt is even worse to get to than it was in my 2.6 190!!! Total nightmare and then getting the dizzy cap past the fan blades was a pain in the arse too!! The cap and rotor were clean as a whistle and the leads look fairly new too.
*edit* Just looked through the history and the leads rotor and dizzy cap were replaced in 2009. The car has done little mileage since then.

I also gave it another wash and leather and it is all sparkly clean :) The chrome on ther window frames is looking a bit dull so I'l get the autosil on that tomorrow B) My word there is a lot of chrome on these W126's! Even the washer jets are chrome :D
Edited by stwat, Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:43 am.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

merc190uk
Member Avatar
The Godfather

lol

my first day without a non 190 and you start this thread, Typical lmao
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Richy190E
Member Avatar
bubble bubble
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I kicked mine, alternator light came on. I may kick it again tomorrow. Stupid piece of cr@p.

kentronix
Member Avatar
I'm only really here for the Kitchens

I threw out the McD's wrapper thats been on the floor for ages, plus used it to jump start my 190. Soon the trusty wagon will be given a well deserved rest on the drive once the 190s back out again :)

stwat
Member Avatar

merc190uk
Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:40 am
lol

There is only you Kenny and -V- among the team who actually own 190's now lmao

jeremy
Member Avatar
Too Far Gone To Help
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
stwat
Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:44 am
merc190uk
Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:40 am
lol

There is only you Kenny and -V- among the team who actually own 190's now lmao
And Kenny never uses his .......... lmao

Jeremy

stwat
Member Avatar

:lol: It's been sat on his drive with a flat tire growing mold for the last year lmao

kentronix
Member Avatar

not long now, the beast shall rise again ! And when it does I am kicking all you non-190 owning mods out on yer ar5es :)

Rich27
Member Avatar
Admin

Look what I acquired today:
Posted Image

A going over with the dremel and they should be rite as rain.

Big Ben
Member Avatar
Sneaky 2.5-16 Driver!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Changed the steering damper. It now goes in a straight line. Next I have to change four tyres!

kentronix
Member Avatar

rich, PLEASE dont take a dremel to the cat, I Reckon its fine as it is !!!

yesterday I finally got my beasts tyre fixed, decent condition toyo t1s and t1r's all round now.

Then sorted all the tyres on the project car (co owned with jez and marc), no slow puncture any more and got fatter 205's on the back. Also looked into the non working speedo cable issue, it seems the cable is broken off at the end. I think the 2.6 needs a 2.6 specific cable ? anyone know ? Anyone got one spare ?

Alternatively does anybody know if gps based speedos are legal as your only speedometer in a car ? We always have an alternative gps based one in the car but figure given they wont work under bridges etc the law probably requires a mechanical standard type as well ?
Edited by kentronix, Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:02 pm.

Richy190E
Member Avatar
bubble bubble
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kenny, my mates kit car passed SVA with a GPS speedo.

As for my antics, I got the wrong diff for the barge, but didnt find out until it was off the car and pretty late in the evening....so I filled the old one with a blend of Lucas heavy duty wheel bearing grease and Lucas 80/90 fully synthetic diff oil and its pretty quiet now compared to how it was :D

stwat
Member Avatar

Richy190E
Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 am
filled the old one with a blend of Lucas heavy duty wheel bearing grease and Lucas 80/90 fully synthetic diff oil and its pretty quiet now compared to how it was :D
lmao

kentronix
Member Avatar

I did a bit of reading since this post, I dont know about the sva but there is no requirement for the MOT to even have a speedo. Its just the law, from what I gather gps is not acceptable in the eyes of the law if its your only speedo :(

Never mind, I will just have to get a new cable.
Edited by kentronix, Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:02 am.

Richy190E
Member Avatar
bubble bubble
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Speedo cables are only 25-30.

kentronix
Member Avatar

Richy190E
Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 am
Speedo cables are only 25-30.
hopefully a cheap second hand one will come up given time, its for the project track car, shoestring budget and all that :)

That's a second hand price right ? or are they cheaper from the dealer than I expected ?

Richy190E
Member Avatar
bubble bubble
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nope new price, Febi part.

kentronix
Member Avatar

Richy190E
Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 am
Nope new price, Febi part.
You got a part number mate ?
Still hoping for cheaper but thats roughly the going rate second hand so that means our second option becomes much better :)

hitenb
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've lost both front windows on the W124, its baking hot outside too.. I can hear the motor turning, but no contact with he rest of the mech.

I 'plan' to take the door card off and see to at least one side, work permitting that is. Thankfully, this doesn't have the electric seat controls - probably be a huge hassle getting it out!

Rich27
Member Avatar
Admin

Hiten.
Get somone to help the window down while you press the switch.

W124`s are known to strip their gears on the window mechanisums,

My one has, I have to help it down the first inch, then the motor will take it.

hitenb
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
Rich27
Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:09 pm
Hiten.
Get somone to help the window down while you press the switch.

W124`s are known to strip their gears on the window mechanisums,

My one has, I have to help it down the first inch, then the motor will take it.
Fantastic, Thanks for that bit of advice Rich. I'll try it out and report back
:)

algord83
Member Avatar
I can count to potato
[ *  *  * ]
I've just fitted my Blaupunkt into the 250D. It came with an adequate JVC from the previous owner, but it had a cracked display. Not acceptable :no:

So i had to go down to halfords for an ariel adaptor. 5! . The robbing so and so's ! :S

After sorting that, I started changing dash bulbs. Why do people just leave them? It drives me nuts! . .So, I changed one heater control surround (also does the tempurature control wheel), both nobs, the gear selecter illuminator (well fiddley), the glovebox bulb and the rear roof courtesy light.
Ive had a good check and that seems to be all of them, and there is a lot! This w124 is lit up like a christmas tree! You have clocks, heater controls, all the switches, rear roof, front roof, seatbelt warning, reading light, glovebox, both illuminated vanity mirrors, foot lights in all 4 door bottoms, heater vents and the boot!
All turned on, they probably draw more current than the head/tail lights :lol:

So, the bulb fail light is still on :-/ However I am convinced this is due to the front sidelights being of different wattages. I havn't checked but one is definitely brighter than the other. None matching bulbs causes an asymetry in the load on either side. Thats what turns the lamp fail light on (I reckon :) ) I can't be fluffed to check it now. I'm watching Eastenders.

Anyway. Thats what I've been up to :)

Al
Edited by algord83, Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 pm.

stwat
Member Avatar

algord83
Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:17 pm

So, the bulb fail light is still on :-/ However I am convinced this is due to the front sidelights being of different wattages. I havn't checked but one is definitely brighter than the other. None matching bulbs causes an asymetry in the load on either side. Thats what turns the lamp fail light on (I reckon :) )

Indeed. My manual states just that. Change the bulb and all will be well :)

stwat
Member Avatar

I fitted a new heated seat control unit(many thanks Andy) so now have nice rosy arse cheeks and back :D

algord83
Member Avatar
I can count to potato
[ *  *  * ]
stwat
Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:17 pm
I fitted a new heated seat control unit(many thanks Andy) so now have nice rosy **insert swear word here** cheeks and back :D
Yea! heated seats. Dad's 500 sel has got them. They make you feel like you have pooed yourself :lol:

Al

Richy190E
Member Avatar
bubble bubble
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Im not a fan of heated seats either.

algord83
Member Avatar
I can count to potato
[ *  *  * ]
Richy190E
Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:58 pm
Who says I don't like feeling like i've pooed myself?

Naa, I do like heated seats. good for the farmers.

Al

kentronix
Member Avatar

I prefer to just poo myself, that way I feel like a VIP with heated seats, without the expense.

stwat
Member Avatar

lmao

stwat
Member Avatar

Richy190E
Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:58 pm
How can you not like having your arse cheeks and gonads slowly roasted as you drive along?

The passenger seat is also fantastic for keeping your takeaway warm till you get home :D

Big Ben
Member Avatar
Sneaky 2.5-16 Driver!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just finished fitting a full set of Brembo discs and pads to the e280. Virtually every pad was down to the metal! :o

Just got the steering box to adjust, geometry to check and adjust as required, 2 new tyres, drivers window mechanism, rear propshaft donut (probably replace them all), and a few electrical gremlins to sort out where the clifford alarm needs tlc.

Then comes the lowering kit and the alloys!

Then I can start on the bodywork! :lol:

Not a lot really!

Neil
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen your E-Class, Brian - is it a W124, or W210?
Had a quick look for a 'show-off' thread, but couldn't see it...

Big Ben
Member Avatar
Sneaky 2.5-16 Driver!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Its a late w124 mate in azure blue with light tan interior. I will be cleaning it tororrrow so ill get some pics on the site then!

algord83
Member Avatar
I can count to potato
[ *  *  * ]
kentronix
Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:22 pm
I prefer to just poo myself, that way I feel like a VIP with heated seats, without the expense.
lmao

'Ere, whats he smiling at in that car? And why is his face red and his eyebrow is twitching?

Al

algord83
Member Avatar
I can count to potato
[ *  *  * ]
Big Ben
Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Its a late w124 mate in azure blue with light tan interior. I will be cleaning it tororrrow so ill get some pics on the site then!
We've got one of those. (w124 E280). Its propper fast. Or it would be if it ever went anywhere :$

Al

murgy
Part of things
[ *  * ]
av been screaming why did i buy a different newish car WHY :no: lmao "wallbang" "wallbang" "wallbang" "wallbang" "wallbang"

Big Ben
Member Avatar
Sneaky 2.5-16 Driver!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Front drivers window mechanism repaired! Two screws replacing spot welds!

Pictures to follow!

hitenb
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
Big Ben
Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm
Front drivers window mechanism repaired! Two screws replacing spot welds!

Pictures to follow!
Nice work! I look forward to seeing these pictures so I can get on with mine. I thank you in advance! :)

Richy190E
Member Avatar
bubble bubble
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The barge breezed its MOT so im going to smarten the old heap up a bit ready for summer.

Mike wantza Merc
Member Avatar
Autophile
[ *  *  *  * ]
Richy190E
Mon Mar 7, 2011 6:24 pm
"" I'm going to smarten the old heap up a bit ready for summer. ""
:huh:

What colour are you doing the barge this year, or are you just doing a second coat of D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F green?

lmao

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Non 190 Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys