Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Top Tips for your Mercedes 190
Topic Started: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 pm (20,721 Views)
merc190uk
Member Avatar
The Godfather

Today i realized we don't have a "Tips" section

so i will start with one and others can add, over time we should get a handy little list

Steve.

The rear quarter panels on the Mercedes 190 are not very well protected from items sliding around in the boot area, they do have that plastic liner but this is in contact with the rear outer panel
It doesn't take much to hit the plastic liner and create a outward dent in the cars rear panel

this has happened to me on many 190s and i have also see the same outward dent and paint blister on other members cars BUT its avoidable !

remove the inner liner and then place a strip of polystyrene behind it to absorb any impacts
then replace the liner

cheap

cheerful

and a quick easy diy job

this hasnt been trimmed properly yet was just to show what i mean.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gibpetrolhead
Member Avatar
Racing line
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I am shaking my head right now Steve!. :lol:

merc190uk
Member Avatar
The Godfather

gibpetrolhead
Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:20 pm
I am shaking my head right now Steve!. :lol:
lmao

ive done it before though and its saved my rear panel B)

ok maybe i should have taken a picture of it done properly :$

gibpetrolhead
Member Avatar
Racing line
What about a cargo net of some description, I'm I ruining this thread. lmao

merc190uk
Member Avatar
The Godfather

or screw a timber frame around the outer edges of the boot floor to stop stuff hitting the rear wings :lol:

gibpetrolhead
Member Avatar
Racing line
merc190uk
Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 pm
or screw a timber frame around the outer edges of the boot floor to stop stuff hitting the rear wings :lol:
That's the one, phone the patent office right away. :P

OneNineTee
BANNED
[ *  * ]
To rid your steering wheel of Creaks / Squeaks access your steering column from above your pedals, remove carpet and "lubricate shaft' with duck oil... Of for a more thorough approach remove the panel below the dash for full access.

And Replace thine LOWER BALL JOINTS if heavier steering issues are present.

TIGHTEN your luggage nets by removing your seatbacks with the two screws located directly underneath your chair, then pull the connecting strings tight and refasten. B)

Avoid unwanted negative attention on this forum by avoiding the term: PINK. "bomb"

matth190
Member Avatar
190 squirt
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Any tips on how to stop the annoying noise from the speedometer? Only when its a bit cold!

MBZ190D
Member Avatar
Highly Addicted
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Clean the tank strainer out on diesels...

kentronix
Member Avatar
I'm only really here for the Kitchens

MBZ190D
Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 pm
Clean the tank strainer out on diesels...
+1

I think steves 'tramp-sulation ' tip is great. I have had dings from the inside of the boot on all my 190s.

Another tip, clip a long bungee across the boot from the bootlid spring lower holes. When your putting shopping in the back unhook and run the chord through the handles, and rehook. Keeps the bags upright and stops your 190 making an omelet and a cocktail in the back on the way home.

stwat
Member Avatar

Yes, great tip from our Steve there. Like Mr Tronix, all my 190's have had the annoying outward dings in the rear wings.

I must admit to causing one myself on my 2.3-16 when transporting al my camping gear to Le Mans :$

One tip I will give is to make sure you re-grease the driveshaft CV's. It is a job that will never have been done since the car left the factory and will prolong the life of the CV joints massively.

My first 190 had a nasty ticking noise at the rear that came and went and sounded terminal. I pulled back the CV boots and found the joints were almost totally dry!!! Once fully packed with grease all was well again.
I make it a point to always re-grease them when I buy another MB :)

twopointsix
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
A few tips on those hidden rust areas.

Run your hand under the inside of the bottom of each door. If you spot or suspect any rust, pull off the rubber seals at the bottom of the doors. Treat any rust in the channel that's now exposed and apply cavity wax/Waxyol/Dinitrol in the channel before replacing the rubbers.

Slide a thin piece of plastic down the side of the rear screen to the base, between the external rubber and the C-pillar. Clean out any of the original screen sealant which after all these years will have started to degrade. Mask off the rubber and the C-pillar with masking tape. With a mastic gun, run a bead of new screen sealant behind the rubber, especially at the bottom corners. When done, clean off any excess with white spirit. This way you stand a chance of avoiding the dreaded rear screen base corrosion that affects many 190s.

Remove the front wheels and put the car on axle stands. Remove the inner wing liners. Check the condition of the bracket that secures the front lower liner nut and side bumper nut. If there's no corrosion, you're a lucky man! While the liners are off, lash a load of Waxoyl behind the leading edge of the front wings.

On a 2.6, if an auto, whilst the front wheels are off, remove the engine undertray and check the condition of the gearbox coolant pipe that runs behind the bottom of the radiator. If it's never been replaced, it will be rusty. If in doubt as to the condition - replace it.

At the same time, check for (and treat any) rust on the radiator support tube and mounting brackets - only visible/accessible with the undertray removed.
Edited by twopointsix, Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:58 am.

Jst_at_home
jst_at_home
[ * ]
As a newcomer, I think this thread's a great idea.

John

MarkoTheMerc190D
Member Avatar
Diesel Driver
[ *  *  *  * ]
Always Zero your tripmeter when at a standstill ( Not when doing 70 )

Mark

matth190
Member Avatar
190 squirt
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MarkoTheMerc190D
Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 am

Mark
I did it twice, and its still working... feckknows

And anyone knows something about the speedometer noise?

OneNineTee
BANNED
[ *  * ]
Do not reset tripometer whilst in motion. Failure to comply will result in strange Speedo noise!

inlinesix
Member Avatar
DADDY. P
[ *  *  *  * ]
OneNineTee
Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 pm
Do not reset tripometer whilst in motion. Failure to comply will result in strange Speedo noise!
lmao

Rich27
Member Avatar
Admin

matth190
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:39 pm
MarkoTheMerc190D

Mark

lmao lmao lmao lmao

Thats because you pressed the trip meter when moving and its now clicking

gibpetrolhead
Member Avatar
Racing line
Rich27
Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 pm
matth190
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:39 pm
MarkoTheMerc190D

Mark

lmao lmao lmao lmao

Thats because you pressed the trip meter when moving and its now clicking
Indeed Rich, not clever. :P

hugolundie
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Guys,

looking to buy my first 190e want a 2.6, merc dealer selling 1, 140k, 3 owner, FMBSH, Black, sunroof lowered suspension air con wants 3800? what do u think. for this money im expecting top drawer stuff, agree?

thanks,

Stevie

MBZ190D
Member Avatar
Highly Addicted
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It wants to be out the box for that money mate!

kentronix
Member Avatar

Agreed, the 2.6 is a great car but they dont command this kind of money (in my opinion). 3800 is way more than I would pay for 140k example, even a mint one.

twopointsix
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
And back on topic again.........

Another three rust-related tips

Remove the front bumper. Four 13mm nuts hold on the front, one 10mm nut holds on each side. There are two bolts, one each side, that secure the wing to the chassis directly above the side of the bumper. Over time, the metal at the edge of the hole through which the bolt passes starts to rust. It's impossible to see with the bumper in place. The rust gradually works its way outwards in all directions and the first thing you notice is the paintwork on the wing start to bubble, meaning the rust has come through from the inside. Too late to do much about it other than remove the wing, cut out the rust and weld in a patch (very tricky and time consuming) or find a replacement non-rusty original wing.

Remove the front wing Sacco panels (post-facelift cars). Inspect the lower edge of the rolled edge of the wing carefully. This is where a wing will rust first. Without removing the Sacco panel, it can fester there for years. By the time it's visible above the panel - it's again too late without welding or replacement.

Check the rear tow eye, directly below the offside rear of the back bumper. Rust starts at the welds underneath the underseal and spreads outwards unseen. Have a good poke around with a screwdriver. If your car has never had any attention to this area, I can virtually guarantee you will find some rust which needs treating.

These cars are getting on now, so vigilance is all. Happy looking!

twopointsix
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry to keep rattling on about rust, but I hate it with a passion and go to great lengths to protect my cars from the dreaded tin worm.

With apologies to a respected member of another Mercedes forum, this is what he's just discovered on an otherwise immaculate Cosworth after hearing a banging noise from the back of his car. The anti-roll bar had completely broken away from its mountings, despite having had a back end re-build at huge cost by Mercedes in 2006 and subsequently being extensively treated with Waxoyl. So this is another area you need to keep a close eye on - time to get those axle stands out again! This is not for the faint-hearted and I take no pleasure whatsoever in posting these photos. Apologies again to the owner.

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld2.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld5.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld6.jpg

If I remember correctly, after being on sale for a long time, this car was sold to its current owner by a former 190 forum member. I seem to remember him posting it for sale on here after spending many thousands at the main dealer. What concerns me most is that the previous owner had paid all that money for a back end rebuild and no-one at the dealership pointed out, or dealt with, any rust on the bodywork - which must have been there to an extent at the time. That amount of rust hasn't developed solely in the last five years.
Edited by twopointsix, Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:20 am.

MarkoTheMerc190D
Member Avatar
Diesel Driver
[ *  *  *  * ]
OMG!
That car looks like it's been parked in the sea evernight :o

Mark

nascarjoe
[ * ]
merc190uk
Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 pm
Today i realized we don't have a "Tips" section

so i will start with one and others can add, over time we should get a handy little list

Steve.

The rear quarter panels on the Mercedes 190 are not very well protected from items sliding around in the boot area, they do have that plastic liner but this is in contact with the rear outer panel
It doesn't take much to hit the plastic liner and create a outward dent in the cars rear panel

this has happened to me on many 190s and i have also see the same outward dent and paint blister on other members cars BUT its avoidable !

remove the inner liner and then place a strip of polystyrene behind it to absorb any impacts
then replace the liner

cheap

cheerful

and a quick easy diy job

this hasnt been trimmed properly yet was just to show what i mean.

Posted Image
is it possible for newbys to post threads as i,m finding it impossible to do so

kentronix
Member Avatar

yes you need to be viewing a section (rather than a thread), for example here :-

http://mercedes-190.co.uk/forum/5938/

Then click on the "New Topic" button over the top right.It looks like this :

Posted Image

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
gibpetrolhead
Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 pm
What about a cargo net of some description, I'm I ruining this thread. lmao
Don't put anything in the boot, chuck it on the back seat.... ;)

machaulage
Tom190 D
[ *  * ]
OneNineTee
Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 pm
To rid your steering wheel of Creaks / Squeaks access your steering column from above your pedals, remove carpet and "lubricate shaft' with duck oil... Of for a more thorough approach remove the panel below the dash for full access.

TIGHTEN your luggage nets by removing your seatbacks with the two screws located directly underneath your chair, then pull the connecting strings tight and refasten. B)

Avoid unwanted negative attention on this forum by avoiding the term: PINK. "bomb"

Hi Mate when you say Duck Oil do u mean 2in1 oil as am going to kake panel off under dash as the noise is getting worse checked bottom joints but some oil on one as it was creaking when u pushed own on wing that has stopped now will replace joints in a few months.

Silver star
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
machaulage
Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 pm
OneNineTee
Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Mate when you say Duck Oil do u mean 2in1 oil as am going to kake panel off under dash as the noise is getting worse checked bottom joints but some oil on one as it was creaking when u pushed own on wing that has stopped now will replace joints in a few months.
Ball joints should be one of your first jobs! Pop it into the search box here and see what comes up! a few months could be taking your life in your hands... ;)

stwat
Member Avatar

And oiling a potentially sized ball joint is the worst thing you could do as it makes it easier for it to pop out!!

PARI
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
My top tip is make sure you got good rubbers on dont want to get caught short in an emergency

Silver star
Member Avatar
Addicted
[ *  *  *  * ]
PARI
Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:25 pm
My top tip is make sure you got good rubbers on dont want to get caught short in an emergency
:huh: you still talking about cars PARI?? :lol:

Rich27
Member Avatar
Admin

Leave the centre vents open when parked, this will allow air into and out of the car and cut condensation.

mycos
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Great tips, as a new owner of a 190 this is really useful. Although I'm now quite concerned by the amount of rust issues the car could have. I've booked it in with benztec in Dudley for a once over, does anyone have any experiance with them or could recomend anyone else on the west midlands.

Bisonhead
Member Avatar
Bisonhead
[ *  *  * ]
For the problem of stuff sliding around on the carpet in the boot, i placed some of the grip matting used for tool draws, dash boards etc on the carpet and have solved the problem. Nothing seems to slide now, of course if your hoofing it then it may. But so far so good with cases of beer.

studebaker1
Part of things
[ *  * ]
twopointsix
Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:19 am
Sorry to keep rattling on about rust, but I hate it with a passion and go to great lengths to protect my cars from the dreaded tin worm.

With apologies to a respected member of another Mercedes forum, this is what he's just discovered on an otherwise immaculate Cosworth after hearing a banging noise from the back of his car. The anti-roll bar had completely broken away from its mountings, despite having had a back end re-build at huge cost by Mercedes in 2006 and subsequently being extensively treated with Waxoyl. So this is another area you need to keep a close eye on - time to get those axle stands out again! This is not for the faint-hearted and I take no pleasure whatsoever in posting these photos. Apologies again to the owner.

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld2.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld5.jpg

http://home.btconnect.com/whitleford/whittleford/cars/190weld6.jpg

If I remember correctly, after being on sale for a long time, this car was sold to its current owner by a former 190 forum member. I seem to remember him posting it for sale on here after spending many thousands at the main dealer. What concerns me most is that the previous owner had paid all that money for a back end rebuild and no-one at the dealership pointed out, or dealt with, any rust on the bodywork - which must have been there to an extent at the time. That amount of rust hasn't developed solely in the last five years.
this is exactly why I need to look at apparently immaculate enthusiast owned cars cars very carefully, and not take my choice lightly

jsto
Part of things
[ *  * ]
If your 190d has weaping injection pump o rings when parking on a hill always park it nose down otherwise the main fuel filter will drain and you may find it difficult to start.

eagle3
Therapy Needed
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Make your neighbours think you have an expensive gravel drive by gluing rice crispies to your tyres..

merc190uk
Member Avatar
The Godfather

eagle3
Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:52 am
Make your neighbours think you have an expensive gravel drive by gluing rice crispies to your tyres..
lmao

thats like a viz top tips

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Newbies - & W201 190 Buyers Guide · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys