Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spring rates for track racing
Topic Started: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am (1,772 Views)
markhope39
Member Avatar
[ * ]
My car hits the track in March for the start of testing and among the many areas we have yet to figure out are spring rates.

As any of you who've set a race car up will have experienced, it can take ages and lots of attempts to get the right spring rates without a tried and tested starting point.

So cutting to the chase, does anyone know what spring rates work on a 190e Cosworth?
I read that someone has gine with 300lb F&R. And I've read of rates as low as 250lb.

Your help is appreciated.
Edited by markhope39, Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 am.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

HRH-squidlips-III
Part of things
[ *  * ]
pm mazza he,s the bloke in the know when it comes to this sort of stuff
i think hes doing something similar at the mo

85matt190
Member Avatar
WINNING!
[ *  * ]
the rates for a stripped, caged 190 will be alot different than stock..
I cant help you much as of yet... I'm running 400e springs for the time being, but once my car is done being stripped and the cage is in, with the fuel cell etc, I will be putting it on a 4-post tie down rig to help determine good spring and swaybar rates...

Would be Interested to see what you come up with though, and what your experience on track tells you..

JM Motorsport
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
I have some expereince with springs rate on track. I take it you run the stock setup with a separate damper unit and spring? Would be nice to know what springs and dampers you are using at the moment

mazza
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
markhope39
Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am
So cutting to the chase, does anyone know what spring rates work on a 190e Cosworth?
I read that someone has gine with 300lb F&R. And I've read of rates as low as 250lb.

Hi

300lbs/in (52.5N/mm) is approx the spring rate of lowering springs, you are going to need stiffer springs.

The 16v OEM springs are approx 45N/mm or 256lbs/in

dont go stiff crazy with the rears, rear doesnt like it

As per JM Motorsport post...what set up are you running now? have you had your car corner weighed?

mazza

markhope39
Member Avatar
[ * ]
mazza
Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm
markhope39

Hi

300lbs/in (52.5N/mm) is approx the spring rate of lowering springs, you are going to need stiffer springs.

As per JM Motorsport post...what set up are you running now? have you had your car corner weighed?

mazza
Thanks for the OEM rates. That's good to know.

I'm starting with the standard set up as coilovers are beyond my budget at the moment.
When I can I'll go for coilovers one the front only.
Currently it is set up as a rally car to run on smooth scandanavian gravel, so I'm guessing it'll be quite stiff which is in the right direction at least.
Once I tested in March I'll test the springs and see what they are.

If I don't get any info from someone who has already raced one, I'm probably going to start off at 6/700lb fronts and and maybe only 500lb at the rear and see where I go from there. The hassle with that is going to be re-setting the dampers to match every change.

Cornerweighting will be somewhere at the end of my list. I'll wait until I get a feel for how I like the car to handle first. Like a lot of drivers it's rare that it'll be even.

1morebenz
Member Avatar
[ * ]
markhope39
Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 pm
mazza
Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm
markhope39

Hi

mazza
Thanks for the OEM rates. That's good to know.

I'm starting with the standard set up as coilovers are beyond my budget at the moment.
When I can I'll go for coilovers one the front only.
Currently it is set up as a rally car to run on smooth scandanavian gravel, so I'm guessing it'll be quite stiff which is in the right direction at least.
Once I tested in March I'll test the springs and see what they are.

If I don't get any info from someone who has already raced one, I'm probably going to start off at 6/700lb fronts and and maybe only 500lb at the rear and see where I go from there. The hassle with that is going to be re-setting the dampers to match every change.

Cornerweighting will be somewhere at the end of my list. I'll wait until I get a feel for how I like the car to handle first. Like a lot of drivers it's rare that it'll be even.
I would recommend doing the cornerweight before changing spring rates, this will drastically change the way the car feels.

I did it on my previous track car after dabbling with the suspension (spring rates), the corner weight did more of a difference then me changing the springs. (all depends how soft or hard your current setup is for you)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Track/Racing Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys