Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mercedes E320 CDI proving to be very reliable.
Topic Started: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:11 pm (1,289 Views)
Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I have been looking at Gumtree as you do, and up popped a Mercedes E320 CDI with MOT till February 2018. Not exactly local to me but not that far either.

So I took a run up to see it and surprisingly it is fairly solid but it does have a few problems. The BAS, ESP and ABS lights are lit with the dash warnings.

It was cheap enough to take a punt on it. Hopefully the local guy can read the fault codes and see what's up.

It will be interesting to see if I can get it sorted within budget.

Will bring it home next week on the trailer.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
That looks like a bit of fun. I bet it's quick.
These had a front cross member that rusts out, but it's hidden by the engine tray so can dodge the MoT tester. Check spring mounts too. Car Mechanics mag did an E300 diesel as a project car about 10 years and went to town on the rust spots.
Major Mechanic on here has a w211 with a 3.2 CDI engine.

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hopeso
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:11 pm
I have been looking at Gumtree as you do, and up popped a Mercedes E320 CDI with MOT till February 2018. Not exactly local to me but not that far either.

So I took a run up to see it and surprisingly it is fairly solid but it does have a few problems. The BAS, ESP and ABS lights are lit with the dash warnings.

It was cheap enough to take a punt on it. Hopefully the local guy can read the fault codes and see what's up.

It will be interesting to see if I can get it sorted within budget.

Will bring it home next week on the trailer.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Possible wheel speed sensor fault. feckknows

MercManCraig
Member Avatar
Craig
[ *  *  * ]
It'll all become clear once you've had diagnostics on it. I bought a w202 with BAS\ASR\ABS light on turned out to be the rear abs sensors and transmission conductor plate.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Hopefully it will be something easy to sort. Looking forward to getting it home and giving it some much needed tlc.

It needs a deep clean inside at the very least.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]

Posted Image

Posted Image
Check out the interior drivers door pull and the steering wheel. Mucky!!

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
There was a thread recently on Pistonheads by a serial Benz fanatic who cleansed his w210 steering wheel quite nicely. I will try and find it..
Edited by nsx_j, Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm.

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Here we are..

Link

Groover
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I enjoyed this link ...... love the day to day tweaks and restoration pics.

Must put up a few of mine, though the last finished car was a S124 Sportline estate.

Thanks
Gary

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I got this home this morning and it runs and drives very nicely.

It has two malfunctions with the warning lights on at start up and they stay displayed on the dash. It has just over 90,000 miles on the clock and a recent and up to date service history.

The previous owner had renewed the MOT in February and it was used on a trip to England and then parked up as he works away from home. Upon his return at the end of May he started it up to go on a run to find the warning lights were on. In his words "it's an old motor and I can't be bothered to spend money to fix it".

So for 400 I have taken a punt, after all how hard can it be to get it sorted?

It needs a good clean inside, a paint buff and polish, and a bit of paint work sorted on the rear arches and in the boot. The headlamps need polished too.

Wish me luck please.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Hopeso, Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:21 pm.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]

Posted Image

Groover
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Bargain .... lots of fun to be had messing around with it.

For less than 500 - cheap entertainment !

Gary

rhysmangatmotorsport
Member Avatar
Mangatmotorsport
That malfunction is ually brake light switch, easy to replace, slots under the brake pedal, or get it plugged in and checked.
Edited by rhysmangatmotorsport, Sat Jul 1, 2017 10:40 pm.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Hopefully will be plugged in tomorrow and fault codes read as to what is wrong.

Cleaned the engine bay this afternoon and sorted a few things. The windscreen washers now work and are leak free too. The drivers window goes down ok but doesn't go up. When the switch is pressed the window moves a fraction but it has to be pulled up. Any ideas, switch, motor or the regulator? All other windows move correctly.

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
Can you swap a switch to eliminate that possibility?
Edited by Daliscar, Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:34 pm.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
That's a very good idea. Will look into that tomorrow. Cheers.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Took the car to a local garage, a small independent place on a farm, who plugged in his all singing and dancing fault code reader. After reading and clearing old faults we were left with two fault codes.

C1200 brake light switch.

C1102 RPM sensor.

So I have ordered a new brake light switch 15.99 and will see if that sorts it.

There was also an indication of the MAF sensor showing a fault so he suggested replacement. Euro Car Parts have a pierburg one at 78.99.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Parts have arrived, will fit them in the morning or maybe later if stops raining.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Ye ha! Parts fitted this morning and all warning lights currently out. Will see how she behaves now.

Need to deal with the headlights now.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I am very lucky here that I have a very good bodywork guy less than half a mile away. Not very hard to pay but does an excellent job. So it's booked in with him as I am away for a week or so. The two rear wheel arches, the bottom corner of the drivers door and the bottom of the front off side wing need work. The rest of the car seems rust free.

Debating on whether to get the original wheels refurbished or buy a set of five spoke mercedes wheels as an upgrade. The originals are 16 inch.

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
Hopeso
Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:58 am
Ye ha! Parts fitted this morning and all warning lights currently out. Will see how she behaves now.

Need to deal with the headlights now.
Milky headlamps?
Can be rubbed down and sprayed with a crystal lacquer. Ask at a body shop.
I think there is also a DIY system available but I don't know how effective it is.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I have a DIY kit but these are bad so will need a rub with wet and dry before being polished.

Doesn't take that long but remember to mask off the paintwork first.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Have got the wheels blasted and powdercoated and a bit of paintwork done on both rear arches.

The powdercoated apologised that on two of the wheels there were a couple of blow outs when they were in the oven. But with a suitable reduction in the price I am not complaining.

When it was in the paint shop I had him check out the boot floor and he found a rusty bit which was cut out and the boot floor repainted.

Looks well now.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
All paint work buffed and polished now. I think she looks very well. Just some more cleaning of the inside will bring her up to scratch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Greek Taxi
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 pm
Car Mechanics mag did an E300 diesel as a project car about 10 years and went to town on the rust spots..
There can't have been much original metal left! lmao

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Finally got this sorted with all warning lights extinguished and hopefully that is the way it will stay.

It turned out that the rear nearside ABS ring was broken. 16 for a new one and a new ABS sensor has the ABS system working properly. I left it in to my local garage to sort this as it needs to go on the lift to get the drive shaft out.

Fitted a new rear number plate, it came with the car so no expense, and it's ready for the road again.

Whilst it was on the lift we got to see in what condition the underside is, and it is fairly free of rusty bits. Nothing a wire brush and a spray of wax won't sort.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
With nearly 1000 miles under its belt, touch wood, this car has so far proved to be a comfortable ride in town and across country.
I am a volunteer driver for a local government organisation taking kids in foster care to and from school and old folks to hospital appointments. The kids love it, it's apparently a cool car and the older folks find it quiet and very comfortable.
It returns 45 mpg on dual carriageway and a class roads but can drop to 30 mpg around town in start stop traffic. I can live with that.

There is a knock coming on and off the power, could be a joint on the prop, and the exhaust has a plate that has broken loose which just needs welded back together. It's booked in Tuesday for these to be sorted.

I just love it!

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Well one thing led to another and more parts have been replaced.

The prop needed the central carrier replaced which is a Mercedes only part. New bearing replaced at the same time. The exhaust had to be removed to access the carrier.

It had a broken rear spring and it was a bit of a pain to replace as the bolts were quite rusty and needed some persuading to come undone.

Whilst on the ramp the brakes were checked out and the pads on the back of the discs weren't working correctly with plenty of rust evident. So new discs and pads all round and the footbrake cleaned and sorted. Was advised by the mechanic to 7se the footbrake regularly to ensure it remains free of rust and crap.

She now runs a good bit smoother, the brakes are great but it could do with the rear subframe bushes replaced to bring back the magic carpet ride it had when new.

Just glad I left it to the mechanic with a lift to sort it as I could never have done it here on the garage floor.

This car is growing on me day by day so keeping it for a long time could be the plan. If so then spending money on it should be the way to go with it.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
This has been running very well, 43 mpg on as long run isn't too bad at all.

However I still hanker after a 190e so might look to change it in the new year.

I have a Reliant ss1 1800ti in the garage which needs to be sold as I haven't used it in the last 4 or 5 years or so. Needs serviced and checked over for the MOT though.

Should sell both cars and buy a good 190e then!!

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Interesting car this, since you're maintaining it.
Does Febi do suspension parts for it? If so, you could refresh it quite cheaply.
An old work colleague bought a then-pristine E300, 1998 model, about two years ago.
He just stumbled upon it and it replaced his Ford Mondeo diesel.
He's no enthusiast and has been running it as a normal car, doing an 80-mile per day commute.
I saw it the other month - the dreaded rust has broken out on just about every panel.
The straight-six diesel sounds immense though. What an engine.

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
No idea about Febi bits for it. Will have to do some investigations into it.
It runs very well, the bodywork is good and the interior is a nice place to be. I have taken four of us out on a 100 mile return trip to visit a military museum and everyone was very comfortable.
It has proved to be everything I expect a Merc to be. But I get bored and look at various car sale sites and think I would like a change. However perhaps I should just stick with it this time.

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
I think we all get bored, as soon as I'd replaced all the suspension on mine and had the engine running sweet, it was a matter of minutes before I was scouring Autotrader/eBay again.
It's a disease!

You'd certainly miss the grunt if you went back to a 190.
You've got a more complete car there I'd say, that seems well suited to your needs.
Much better in a crash too, I'd reckon, which must be a consideration since you're ferrying people around in it.

See, you've got the perfect car already! B)
My colleague enjoys his, and I'll take it from him when it's knackered, no doubt.
So I need you to do the groundwork for me :P

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
You talk far too much sense you know!

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Captain sensible, that's me.
Or just a boring Northern b*stard... take your pick!

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Captain sensible will do nicely!

Hopeso
Part of things
[ *  * ]
This car is currently on SORN as I have been driving a MX5 mk 3.5 for the summer months.

However a couple of days ago a gentleman called at the door wanting to know if I would hire it out to a film crowd who are currently filming in Belfast. The film is about drug and people trafficking and they need an E class Mercedes.

So to cut a long story short, they want the car but they want to wrap it to change the colour to racing green. They have offered to buy it and as everything is for sale at the right money I have sold it pending money arriving in my bank account.

Will have to sort a replacement for next winter then!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Defectors Section. Show Off Your "other" Car · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys