Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Noisy fuel pump; Fuel pump part number
Topic Started: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm (534 Views)
Pierce
[ * ]
Hey guys,

So the 190e has developed its first real fault.... This will be my first post asking for help, so please bear with me while I try to explain thoroughly... The car in question is a 93 2.0 190e.

Whilst sat idling on a really hot day (for Wales at least!) I noticed that I could hear the fuel pump running. (electric crackling type noise)

The noise was super faint at first, in fact I got out of the car to find out where it was coming from... I thought it was coming from a near by electric pylon or something.....

Traced the noise to the fuel pump area, and over the next 5 / 10 minutes the noise got louder and louder... quite audible from a few meters away....

I was worried about her not restarting if I shut her down, so Instead I just took her straight home....

I could hear the fuel pump the whole way home (only a short journey - 10 miles or so) The car drove as normal, no apparent lack of power etc...

Once home, I shut the car down, allowed it to cool, then re started..... No noise.... Started up as normal, slight "thunk" noise from the fuel pump / accumulator when turning on ignition, and the car ran like normal.

So... My question is... Where is the fault?

Fuel tank vent?

Fuel Accumulator? (Car has always suffered from a low idle when restating warm engine)

Fuel pump?

Fuel Pump Relay?

Fuel Filter?

The way I see it, the fault is either down to the FPR OR the pump / accumulator / filter.

If necessary, I will order all of the above from my local Mercedes dealership, but before I do, I thought I would reach out to see if anyone can offer advice....

I guess my options are:

Purchase a FPR first, and see how I get on. (If the fuelling issue persists could it damage the engine?)

Purchase a fuel accumulator and fuel filter, and see how I get on. (If the fault is down to the fuel pump, could the faulty pump damage the new accumulator?)

Or, bite the bullet and purchase the lot! Im happy to spend the money, but hate wasting money!

Apologies for the extra long post!

Look forward to hearing from some of you, wether you have experienced similar symptoms, or tips / advise on what to do.

I appreciate this may seem like a very minor issue, I just can't bear the thought of it having a knock on effect to other components and causing preventable damage.

Thank you.

Pierce

Edited by Pierce, Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:33 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cockney21
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I don't think there's any need to change the FPR if you are chasing the cause of the noise. It is correct for the pump to be running all the time when the engine is running, it will run for a few seconds and turn off if the ignition is turned on but the engine not started.

I would get the car up on some ramps, removed the pump plastic cover and have a listen first.

RobertE
Member Avatar
Serial victim...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Two possibilities, I suggest. An air leak, or, simply a knackered or clogged fuel pump and/or filter. Neither are expensive...

Pierce
[ * ]
Thank you Cockney21 - It's nice to know that it's correct for the fuel pump to be running if the engine is running.

This is my first k jet car, so was unsure how / when the pump worked as I had never heard it running till now...

I guess I thought the hot weather had caused the FPR to stick, causing the fuel pump to run constantly when not designed to do so...

It's great that I can rule out the FPR now!

Thank you RobertE - I'm quite happy to purchase a new pump + filter now I don't have the extra expense of a new FPR.

I will head to my local Mercedes dealer as soon as I can, and will report back with any findings / progress.

Thanks again both!

optimusprime
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Reafing about this in my manual .
If new pumps are fitted to make sure the cover from the old pump is fitted around the outer face of the new pump, to stop noise and corrosion . Other one was , if the wrong fuel pipe or hose is fitted it can make a noise as it vibrates , when it takes the fuel down to the engine .I would just check it is secure first . Or the pum or pumps might need changing .The make a noise if on their last legs .. Look for the easy things first ..

Pierce
[ * ]
Will do, Thanks Optimusprime.

So took a trip to my local MB dealer... I'll post prices and part numbers to help out other members... The car is a 93 2.0

Fuel filter - MB part number 002 477 45 01 - 34 + vat

Fuel accumulator - MB part number 000 476 06 21 - 170 + vat (I had the last one in the UK)

Fuel pump - MB part number 002 091 97 01 - 193 + vat

Sealing ring x4 - MB part number 007603 012110 - 3.40 + vat

Clamp x1 - 916033 021100 - 1.90 + vat

Clamp x1 - 916033 011100 - 1.80 + vat

I couldn't justify MBs price for the fuel pump, so I did some cross referencing of part numbers.....

http://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com list every bosh part along with part numbers/ manufacturer part numbers and alternatives....

I found that Bosch part number: 0580254911 can be used instead of MB part number 002 091 97 01.

Found the above for sale on https://www.gsparkplug.com for 62.12 + vat. Result!

As soon as I get a chance to fit everything, I will confirm fitment of the fuel pump, and post results.

Pierce
[ * ]
So the fuel pump fitted fine, it was a little smaller in diameter than the old one, but used some rubber insulator to make up the size difference.

I can confirm that the issue has gone, and the fuel system is completely silent again.

After starting this topic, it was made pretty clear that the pump was at fault, so no surprise a replacement did the trick....

Whist in the area, it made sense to change the fuel accumulator... I was hoping this may have fixed the low idle on warm restarts, so next on my list will be replacement injectors.

Mercedes29
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Do some 190s have two fuel pumps?

stwat
Member Avatar

Mercedes29
Tue Mar 6, 2018 8:23 pm
Do some 190s have two fuel pumps?
Yes. The late model 2.3-16 and all 2.5-16's had twin pumps. I'm not sure about the 2.6's. My early pre facelift had only one pump, but I have an inkling that the later models may have had two.
Edited by stwat, Tue Mar 6, 2018 10:41 pm.

Mercedes29
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Thanks. I just called the dealer in the end. The 2.6 takes 2 identical pumps. Does anyone have experience with aftermarket pumps? I don't feel like paying hundreds from the dealer

MercManCraig
Member Avatar
Craig
[ *  *  * ]
I've got a couple of bosch pumps on mine, they haven't given me any bother and they're a bit quieter than the old Pierburg pumps too so i'd say you're pretty safe with them.

Re Stu's question my 1993 2.0 auto only has one fuel pump on it.

stwat
Member Avatar

I also fitted a Bosch to my W126. Which incidentaly only has one pump, oddly, as it's a 3.0l M103 which you would expect to need two feckknows

Mercedes29
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I've just changed both pumps but car still doesnt start. No sound of pump when turning key. It's not the relay and the earth's have been cleaned. What else could it be?

optimusprime
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
merc you say not the relay , why ? Did you link 7-8 pins of the relay together ? ..

Mercedes29
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Yes I bridged the pins to no avail. Will do some checks with a multimeter this eve. Could be bad wiring between the relay socket and the pump I suppose

Mercedes29
Part of things
[ *  * ]
The cable to position 8 has come away from the contact pin. I was just going to use a crimp contact rather then the original style as these are readily available at my work.

Any way of finding out the amp rating it would require?
Edited by Mercedes29, Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 pm.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys