Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Electric engine conversion; Has anyone converted their engine from gas to electric?
Topic Started: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am (1,858 Views)
bloomburyfan
[ * ]
Hi,
I realise this might be sacrilegious but if you're a 190e owner in 2017, you're probably used to "thinking differently" from the rest of your peer group :)
Any opinions on full electric conversion?
Please bear in mind that although I like a gas engine (the noise, hum, rev, etc), I would even more like an electric for the obvious reasons.
I looked into a UK conversion company, (youtube electric porsche 911), but such a conversion would be about £40k, and not anywhere near an affordable step. Just curious if anyone else has looked into it. I understand an earlier model would be better for electric conversion as the more basic the better.
If the cost were lower, as in maybe £5k :) :) I would consider it.
Also, would be fantastic on a 70s CSL :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Personaly hate electrics cars... Electric cars is only a fashion bulshit thing.... Its only good for the local enviroment, but worse for the global enviroment, so its only a politics crap solution...

MercManCraig
Member Avatar
Craig
[ *  *  * ]
Hello there

My dad went through a bit of an electric car midlife crisis in the early 2000's when i was a kid. He made a road legal electric Reliant robin as well as later a more practical Reliant Kitten.
The robin had the batteries in the boot under the floor and with the light motors motors being practically under the dashboard it'd pull wheelies if you gave it the beans !

In regards to converting a 190e, unless you have pretty low expectations i don't think you'd manage it for £5k and still have a usable car (ie not a 190e shaped milk float) unless you DIY'd it yourself or found yourself a mad scientist type guy willing to join you.

Will
Member Avatar
Highly Addicted
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
£40k or even £5k buys a lot of petrol... :)

G3MAW
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Up, stop. Down, stop. However refined and developed it became ( Merlin, Griffon etc) the basic principle of piston combustion was obsolete by 1912. Rotary is the obvious way to go and electric , whether from batteries or hydrogen, is long overdue, despite the huge corporate interests long-opposed to such a move. The pace of battery improvement, a legacy from laptop computers, is staggering. A useable range of 250 to 300 miles is not far off, with 0 to 60 times that even now can make a Mini Cooper blush!

ConorD
Claiming Newbie status still
[ *  *  * ]
Hello and welcome.
MB themselves did a 190 Elektro years ago. Motor technology, much moreso battery technology, has moved on a lot since then, but you might get some ideas from them.
Some details here: https://ranwhenparked.net/2013/12/16/a-look-at-mercedes-w201-and-w202-based-electric-vehicles/

If you read German, this has details on motor power etc. - http://www.autozeitung.de/mercedes-190-e-w201-baby-benz-30-jahre-bilder-technische-daten-76783.html push it through https://translate.google.com/ if you don't speak any German.

OK, this has motor power & other details in English :) http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1846042-mercedes-benz-reflects-early-ev-prototypes.html

Best Regards,
ConorD

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
G3MAW
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 am
Up, stop. Down, stop. However refined and developed it became ( Merlin, Griffon etc) the basic principle of piston combustion was obsolete by 1912. Rotary is the obvious way to go and electric , whether from batteries or hydrogen, is long overdue, despite the huge corporate interests long-opposed to such a move. The pace of battery improvement, a legacy from laptop computers, is staggering. A useable range of 250 to 300 miles is not far off, with 0 to 60 times that even now can make a Mini Cooper blush!
Kind of disagree... Both hydrogen and electrics have allot of problem follows IT too, its not the real long term solution... Electrics cars is not some thing New, but sure technology is come much futher. Rotary engines is good in theory, but to get IT working and be relaible in real life has shown to be very hard and costly...

How i still look at it, combustion engines is still the best overall alternative...
Edited by Twin turbo, Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 pm.

bloomburyfan
[ * ]
Thanks for your feedback folks.

Yes, well, £5k was my dream cost, but obviously not the case.
I would gladly do it for that price to get Tesla batteries and 250mile range :) But, alas, i'm £35k short.
And, yes, that's a lot of gas for that price though non-petrol would be the focus.
Cheers.

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Repeat from another thread.......

Here's food for thought. Could this be the future for classic cars? The (albeit grudging) alternative best of both worlds?
Do you know how much Neil Young actively cares?
https://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/1612/neil-young-lincvolt-electric-1959-lincoln-continental-mark-iv
Search LincVolt for more :driver:

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Well can share this. 5k is not many manhouers and material on a conversion like that. To go from proper engine "bomb" to electrics, basicly "all" need change and be modded... Sure as a "diy" prodject, if got a "complete" electrics car to "scrap", IT would be cheaper in money, bit still allot of houers...

G3MAW
Part of things
[ *  * ]
“Modding” ? Have you seen the amount of kit required to make diesels comply with current EU 6 levels - about 4k’s worth. Not to mention the frequent re-fills of ADBLUE needed to stop the engine from being switched off by the ecu program ( ADBLU = urea = horse p..s )
Brains in Runcorn can now convert shredded tyre waste into hydrogen ( a World First,by the way.) .
A final thought, the best level of efficiency achievable by a petrol engine, albeit in a laboratory, is 10%, so around 6% in practice. Conclusion? Better to use them for heating and noise creation...

MercManCraig
Member Avatar
Craig
[ *  *  * ]
You sure about that 10% thermal efficiency ? feckknows

G3MAW
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Mechanical efficiency to the driven wheels bedevilled with heat creation, timing/mixture compromises , exhaust/breathing emissions requirements and, in the case of diesel technology, additional fuel wastage for particulates filtration and soot disposal. Incidentally, it’s this additional kit that is responsible for the increased maintenance costs after the first three years of engine life. Apart from poor efficiency , it’s the environmental impact on the community at large which will be the major force for change.

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
And where does allot of electric come from around the world? Its not like IT is 100% clean and 100% efficiency... And the production, and material used does not just pop up 100% clean, so the toatal real enviroment benefits is not better...But you dont se IT when sitting in the electrics car so then in "politican" eyes its fixed...

JustbeCoz
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I think anyone who mentions Electric cars should be shot.

The whole point of gas guzzlers is the variety and character of their engines.

Can you imagine the topics of discussion in future car forums if this mentality persists?

Subforum : Electrical, Topic: Whine from rear end of car Post : my car is making a whining noise Reply: that's the motor

I'd rather choke on nitrous oxides............

Beryl
Beryl
[ * ]
Twin turbo
Mon Nov 6, 2017 7:53 am
And where does allot of electric come from around the world? Its not like IT is 100% clean and 100% efficiency... And the production, and material used does not just pop up 100% clean, so the toatal real enviroment benefits is not better...But you dont se IT when sitting in the electrics car so then in "politican" eyes its fixed...
As much as I like my old Mercs internal combustion engines really are antiquated, inefficient and dirty.

Love em or hate em electric vehicles will soon be mainstream and it won't be that long before the only way you'll be able to drive into town will be in a zero emission vehicle.

Offshore wind power has a rapid payback period in both manufacture, installation and CO2 costs and is extremely clean so an excellent source of power. If possible have a test drive in a Nissan Leaf, there's nothing like the silent power and handling that an EV can deliver, you'll be smitten!

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Beryl
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 pm
Twin turbo
Mon Nov 6, 2017 7:53 am
As much as I like my old Mercs internal combustion engines really are antiquated, inefficient and dirty.

Love em or hate em electric vehicles will soon be mainstream and it won't be that long before the only way you'll be able to drive into town will be in a zero emission vehicle.

Offshore wind power has a rapid payback period in both manufacture, installation and CO2 costs and is extremely clean so an excellent source of power. If possible have a test drive in a Nissan Leaf, there's nothing like the silent power and handling that an EV can deliver, you'll be smitten!
Work with cars daily, so have driven a few diffrent electric cars, and all i say, i will never like it better them a proper car... Sure i understand that its "better" in high density areas, but thats it... The total enviroment "save" is not there when take complete lifecyclus of a electric car vs a "normal", only exhsust when drive comes out somewhere else...
Edited by Twin turbo, Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 am.

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Why electrify a 190?
It is a car of the 1980s.
Enjoy it for what it is.
To electrify it is as pointless as automating a mangle.

Schwarzblau
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Greek Taxi
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 am

To electrify it is as pointless as automating a mangle.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Early-60s-English-Electric-Washing-Machine-With-Mangle-/162712221255

:blink:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Alternative Fuels · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys