Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Painting a 16v bodykit; Clarification on paint finish please
Topic Started: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 pm (460 Views)
nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Am I right in thinking that 16v cars rolled out of the factory with the plastic bodykit pieces painted in the satin finish as opposed to the metallic paint on the metalwork? Meaning in practice, I should be painting the bootlid spoiler and C-pillar vents in metallic and everything wheelarch extensions and below in the satin..

Many thanks,

James

Posted Image
Edited by nsx_j, Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stwat
Member Avatar

That is correct, sir :)

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Excellent Stu, thank you. It happens tomorrow.

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Wasent both option?

mercedes190evo
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I'd go for a gloss finish, that colour really pops in the sun with HS lacquers

Will
Member Avatar
Highly Addicted
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
nsx_j
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 pm
Am I right in thinking that 16v cars rolled out of the factory with the plastic bodykit pieces painted in the satin finish as opposed to the metallic paint on the metalwork? Meaning in practice, I should be painting the bootlid spoiler and C-pillar vents in metallic and everything wheelarch extensions and below in the satin..

Many thanks,

James

Posted Image
Hope itís not too late James but it reads as though youíre painting the wheel arch trims in satin, that is not correct. They are in body finish - ie gloss lacquer/clear coat.

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Thanks Will. It may not be too late after all! I am confused now - is it better to do the lot in gloss (especially if it was a factory option)? Also, is the underside of the bonnet red or the Galinite Grey of the boot lid underside?

Many thanks!

James

Will
Member Avatar
Highly Addicted
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
nsx_j
Fri Dec 1, 2017 11:57 am
Thanks Will. It may not be too late after all! I am confused now - is it better to do the lot in gloss (especially if it was a factory option)? Also, is the underside of the bonnet red or the Galinite Grey of the boot lid underside?

Many thanks!

James
No 16vs came with gloss finish on the Ďbodykití, they all have a satin clearcoat. But the wheel arch mouldings are 100% gloss finish the same as the wings theyíre attached to :)

Iím fairly sure the bonnet is body coloured inside and out - although the majority will be covered with the insulation pad of course.

Donít forget the lower lip on the bumpers is finished in a satin black or dark grey IIRC.

Chris190
Part of things
[ *  * ]
nsx_j
Fri Dec 1, 2017 11:57 am

Many thanks!

James

As Will says, the underside of the bonnet is painted body colour, except for the very bottom section (when viewed with it in the vertical position) which is the same grey as the underside of the boot lid.

I can post a picture when I get home if it would help.

Chris

JustbeCoz
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Underside of bonnet is body colour. Lower portion of skirts are tiefdunkelgrau DB 7167
Codes for matt or satin paints used for lower cladding are usually a 4 figure number.

Eg smoke silver is 702
Smoke silver for sacco 7702

Don't know the number for almandine satin though

Paulossie
Member Avatar
Potato

Done mine in all gloss looks nicer and if I ever sell it it's easily sprayed with satin laquer.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Paulossie, Fri Dec 1, 2017 10:17 pm.

cossie connoisseur
Member Avatar
there can be only one ;-)
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Inside of bonnet is body colour but from memory the
Lower part where the nozzles are ect is the same colour
As the boot (grey)

rhysmangatmotorsport
Member Avatar
Mangatmotorsport
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking forward to seeing this done James! Nick is right with the grey parts of the boot lid & lower part of the bonnet inside.
Edited by rhysmangatmotorsport, Mon Dec 4, 2017 10:28 am.

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
rhysmangatmotorsport
Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:15 am
Looking forward to seeing this done James!
All in good time RhysRobbie but it now has the momentum and no turning back!
Edited by nsx_j, Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:59 am.

rhysmangatmotorsport
Member Avatar
Mangatmotorsport
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nsx_j
Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:57 am
rhysmangatmotorsport
rockon

So it'll be ready for the gtg next year then ;) eatpopcorn

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
rhysmangatmotorsport
Mon Dec 4, 2017 10:15 pm
nsx_j
Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:57 am
rhysmangatmotorsport
rockon

So it'll be ready for the gtg next year then ;) eatpopcorn
All being well. Though I would do well not to get myself parked up next to Bisonhead's motor this time ;)

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
Bisonhead...... quiet for a while?

rhysmangatmotorsport
Member Avatar
Mangatmotorsport
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
James I'll have a word with the organisers :lol:

Daliscar Martin works abroad so that's probably why you've not heard from him on here in a while

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
rhysmangatmotorsport
Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:13 am

Daliscar Martin works abroad so that's probably why you've not heard from him on here in a while
Yes I know, Iím sure heís posted on here from abroad though.

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Daliscar
Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:41 am
rhysmangatmotorsport
Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:13 am

Yes I know, Iím sure heís posted on here from abroad though.
He piped up the other day I think..

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Some photos of recent progress..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I will be stealthifying the exhaust a little.

Anyway, lacquer and polish over the next few days and paint for the bodykit. Navarra Red looks pretty dark in the tin! Are you all sure??
Edited by nsx_j, Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:10 pm.

Chris190
Part of things
[ *  * ]
nsx_j
Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:09 pm

Anyway, lacquer and polish over the next few days and paint for the bodykit. Navarra Red looks pretty dark in the tin! Are you all sure??
Navarra?? On the 16v the base colour for the body kit should be the same as the body, Almandine in this case. A satin clearcoat is then applied.

I painted these with the same basecoat that I will paint the shell with (when I finally get there!), and finished with a satin clearcoat that my paint shop made up for me. (What looks like a poor finish on the dark gray lower is just masking glue)

Posted Image

Chris

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Chris190
Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:36 pm
nsx_j
Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:09 pm

Navarra?? On the 16v the base colour for the body kit should be the same as the body, Almandine in this case. A satin clearcoat is then applied.

I painted these with the same basecoat that I will paint the shell with (when I finally get there!), and finished with a satin clearcoat that my paint shop made up for me. (What looks like a poor finish on the dark gray lower is just masking glue)

Posted Image

Chris
Thanks Chris. That does make more sense and concurs with my Smoke Silver car's appearance. Thankfully it is not too late as the kit hasn't been painted yet. Your bumpers look very good there..

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
So I have just found a couple of photos of a non-16v Almandine car and I assume that the Sacco panels here ARE painted the darker Navarra Red (code 3521) but that is NOT what should be done with my Cosworth bodykit..?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
nsx_j
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:15 am
So I have just found a couple of photos of a non-16v Almandine car and I assume that the Sacco panels here ARE painted the darker Navarra Red (code 3521) but that is NOT what should be done with my Cosworth bodykit..?

Posted Image

Posted Image

There seems to be a little anxiety developing here........
Are you after 100% originality or just wanting to be happy with the finished product ?
The work so far looks great, itís your car it doesnít have to be what others may expect it to be!
The dark red does look good. A contrast in colour OR finish is going to point out an addition.
I.E. Sacco panels or body kit.

Haris
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Definitely almandine like the rest of the car!

I've actually had mine done very recently. Your next option is how satin the finish should be which is what I struggled with, the bodyshop eventually managed to get it right.

Will
Member Avatar
Highly Addicted
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OCD but those headlamp wiper arms are bugging me (broken/missing covers on the spindles) - and the bonnet star looks a bit limp! :o

Wing repeaters also look like theyíre on the wrong way round and who puts Avons on a 16v these days? :D

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Daliscar
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:38 am
nsx_j
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:15 am

Posted Image

Posted Image

There seems to be a little anxiety developing here........
Are you after 100% originality or just wanting to be happy with the finished product ?
The work so far looks great, itís your car it doesnít have to be what others may expect it to be!
The dark red does look good. A contrast in colour OR finish is going to point out an addition.
I.E. Sacco panels or body kit.
Don't worry Daliscar - I am keeping my cool B) . At this point I may as well go for 100% originality and when I dig out the VIN plate then the EPC will tell me which paints were involved in the build of the car. I had forgotten that one can look that info up.

@Haris - will look forward to seeing your car with some fresh paint. I take it you are keeping it then?

@Will - I couldn't agree more. I always look at the headlamp wipers on even high-end photo shoots and they are usually a shambles. Mind you, with the price of the blades at the dealer.. :rolleyes:

Haris
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Will
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:04 pm
OCD but those headlamp wiper arms are bugging me (broken/missing covers on the spindles) - and the bonnet star looks a bit limp! :o

Wing repeaters also look like theyíre on the wrong way round and who puts Avons on a 16v these days? :D
Not OCD at all! The star and wipers annoyed me too.

Now that you've pointed out the wing repeaters out that's annoying me even more :lol:

Not keeping it much longer it still needs to go unfortunately :-/ I keep saying I'm going to put it up for sale... I've probably said that for almost a year!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bodywork & Exterior · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys