Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Speed rating; Quick question
Topic Started: Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:21 pm (280 Views)
bestie
[ * ]
Hello all, time has come to get a new set of tyres. Decided I would go for the Michelin Crossclimates over the Dunlop Sport Bluresponses for their performance advantage in the cold.

I have factory standard 185/65 R15 but do not know the standard speed and load ratings for the car (Iím away from it at the moment) I seem to recall they are H (88) but am not sure.

I have the choice of T (92) or V (92) so if the minimum was an H I assume I have to go for the V rated ones.

Thanks!

P.S. anyone with a view on cross climate vs crossclimate plus? Itís an extra 40 quid total for the newer ones so leaning toward the older version.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Hi bestie,

I am pretty sure that 88H was the standard spec for 190 tyres so both of your options above would exceed that spec.

Regards,

James

bestie
[ * ]
Thanks for confirming James, Iíve just checked and conversely H rated tyres are rated to 130mph whereas T is 118.

So Iíll go for the V rating, not that Iím planning to go anywhere near that speed Iíve heard that the insurance could be invalid if you use a lower specification tyre than OEM.

Thanks again,

Richard

Cockney21
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Had the exact same tyres fitted last week and went for higher rating, not a lot difference in price and not worth the hassle if the insurance did ever get involved.

Seem to offer better grip than my Michelin Energy that I had fitted, but they were 8 years old so no surprise.

In the wet the rear wheels would easily spin on a damp road pulling out of a junction, not so now.

Chunk
Member Avatar
Spammer Zapper

I'd change insurance company. A company that will try getting out of paying for a claim if speed rating is lower, not the sort of company I would want insuring anything I owned

martinw190
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Chunk
Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:11 pm
I'd change insurance company. A company that will try getting out of paying for a claim if speed rating is lower, not the sort of company I would want insuring anything I owned
It's not just that the speed rating is lower, it is that the tyres must have the speed rating as stipulated by the car's manufacturer to be considered correct for the car. It does state in the handbook (I think) what the rating should be, as defined by MB, not by what speeds you drive at.

You'll risk voiding your insurance if you fit the 'wrong' speed rating, with any insurance company.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Wheels & Tyres · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys