Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Foreign object dropped into oil filler cap
Topic Started: Mon Jan 1, 2018 5:01 pm (654 Views)
Daveycooper
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Whilst doing an oil change on my 2008 mini something small and white dropped into the oil filler cap. Sods law. At best it was a tiny bit of plastic (quite likely off the stupid bottle opening system on mobil 1 oil) at worst a bit of grit off my driveway.

Thinking of dropping all the oil and changing the filter again.

Any thoughts?

Would it likely get sucked in and trapped by the oil filter?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rhysmangatmotorsport
Member Avatar
Mangatmotorsport
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I take it you can't see the item through the filler?

Daveycooper
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
No. Looked like a tiny bit of cat litter which makes me think it was a bit of plastic off the oil bottle opening. Going to drop oil 2moro, check filter etc. Nowt much else i can do. So frustrating as Im always super cautious when doing an oil change. I was using a funnel, as always, to avoid overspill into the engine bay and annoyingly it was this that channelled the flying object into the filler neck grrrrrrr!

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
My thinking would be to take the cam cover off and check the camshaft/valve gear etc.
If it has fallen down into the sump, I'd either drop the oil and hope to find it, or assume the oil pump strainer will do its job and keep it down there.

That's what I'd do on a 190... I have no idea what kind of hell you'll face dismantling the top of a MINI engine though.
Edited by Greek Taxi, Tue Jan 2, 2018 12:30 pm.

ConorD
Claiming Newbie status still
[ *  *  * ]
Davey, if you decide to drain it, depending on the size of the grit particle, perhaps you could let the oil flow through a small sieve or tea strainer on its way into into a clean container. Then if the offending object flows out early, you could replace the plug and pour back in the good oil without having to fully drain the sump.

If it was something that might already have disintegrated in the oil (dried bird guano maybe?) then you won't see anything large caught in the outflow.

Good luck,
ConorD

gasgas
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Mini Engine? Just take the rocker cover off, two bolts, and fish it out. Simples.
I am assuming that as you are a Very Sensible Chap, coming on the 190 Forum, that you are talking about a proper mini, not one of those plastic BMW things that are by no means of exaggeration a mini. there is nothing remotely mini-esque about them, and surely a 190 owner would not stoop to having one?
Please tell me my suspicions are unfounded, and forgive me for my misguided thoughts.

Daveycooper
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I did have an old cooper........but Iím afraid this is a bmw bloater. Itís the wifes, honest! 😀

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Non W201 Technical Issues · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys