Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tachometer 190d 2.5; Unusual fault?
Topic Started: Sun Jan 7, 2018 7:16 pm (201 Views)
LonghamRob
[ * ]
Hi,
I have a 1989(G) 190d 2.5 manual, 135k, no air con, with a problem i cannot seem to fix.
When i bought the car 6 months ago the rev counter did not work.
Not long afterwards i changed the relay 005 545 ???? with a s/h unit (Cant remember the last 4 digits and i am away at the moment) which is located on the bulkhead shelf to the left of the battery.
The rev counter worked and i thought that was that.
The trouble is that after a few miles it stops working for a while then works fine again and it keeps repeating this cycle over & over.
I acquired another 2 relays but it does exactly the same.
I have checked with my local Mercedes dealer and the number on the relay is definitely the correct part. A new one is £120+ but i am reluctant to buy as i cannot believe i have 3 faulty ones.
There is a weird thing that might give a clue to what is wrong...
With the relay in place, if you blip the engine in neutral it misfires on 1 cylinder although you would not notice this when driving. With the relay removed (and no rev counter working) it does not misfire.
Can anyone explain this?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Oil burner
Member Avatar
Volvo owner
[ *  *  * ]
Your engine misfire is nothing to do with any electrical issues because itís mechanical fuel pump.there is a gauze filter inside the fuel tank which can block up with filth. It can be removed easily from under the car.if that is clean it will be a worn delivery valve in the fuel pump or a worn injector.the relay you have replaced only causes issues with abs brakes if fitted and some electrical issues e.g wiper and radio on diesel models, but petrol models are completely different.

LonghamRob
[ * ]
Thank you for that quick response. Perhaps I should not have mentioned the misfire as I dont want the topic to come to a dead end without solving the tachometer issue. Have any diesel owners out there suffered from similar tacho problems? My 190d 2.5 does not have ABS brakes so i assume the relay I have only additionally serves the anti jerk syetem.

optimusprime
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Faulty rev counter will make problems within the ecu ..Remove the rev counter wire and see if the miss goes away..

Oil burner
Member Avatar
Volvo owner
[ *  *  * ]
LonghamRob
Mon Jan 8, 2018 10:30 am
Thank you for that quick response. Perhaps I should not have mentioned the misfire as I dont want the topic to come to a dead end without solving the tachometer issue. Have any diesel owners out there suffered from similar tacho problems? My 190d 2.5 does not have ABS brakes so i assume the relay I have only additionally serves the anti jerk syetem.
Above the starter motor is the feed for the Rev counter, you will have to remove the complete airbox to access it. Remove it and clean the contact as they usually attract metal fillings off the flywheel. Unless your car is a import it wonít have the anti jerk system.

Bradders
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Start with the basics. Almost every electrical problem with my 190D has been solved by either wiggling or replacing a fuse.

Oil burner
Member Avatar
Volvo owner
[ *  *  * ]
Bradders
Mon Jan 8, 2018 8:36 pm
Start with the basics. Almost every electrical problem with my 190D has been solved by either wiggling or replacing a fuse.
Replacing all the fuses is a good option and cleaning the connections as the 190 is getting old now and do benefit from clean fresh fuses.

LonghamRob
[ * ]
Thanks for the many responses. I ought to add that with diesel variants the tachometer is fed by a pulse from the crankshaft position sensor. I replaced this as the part was only £25 direct from Mercedes.
It was an easy job other than squeezing under the car to loosen the single bolt.
You can follow the wiring from this right up to the relay mounting so the fault is certainly between there onward and the back of the tacho which is probably only 2 foot away but impossible to check without dismantling half of the dash,wiper motor, heater motor and so on.
I note 'Badders' has a 2.5d who i hope may have access to a multimeter. Just an idea but is it possible for you pull out the relay, switch the ignition on and take the voltage or resistance readings at the relevant pins. This may take 5-10 mins of your time but would likely show up any differences between mine. There is no hurry to do this as i am currently in Tenerife where incidentally i fell back in love with the 190 as there are absolutely hundreds & hundreds of them here. The taxi drivers also prefer the older Mercs here too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Technical Information & How To Guides/Walkthroughs · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys