Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
No check engine light?; No CEL after Instrument Cluster Install
Topic Started: Tue Jan 9, 2018 1:45 am (270 Views)
Norseman
Part of things
[ *  * ]
1990 190E 2.6

Finally warm enough to put some heat on in my garage to reinstall the instrument cluster. Everything hooked up OK but now the "Check Engine" light has no power when ignition turned on? I think I probably unhooked a wire connection when under the dash. I looked around under there as best I was able but cant see where any wires are disconnected. If someone can give me a clue as to where the light bulb wire is connected it would give me a starting point. I may have to remove the plastic tube affair to get a better view since it really limit access to the under dash wiring.
The bulb is fine. Is there a fuse I should look for also? I didn't tamper with anything under the hood/bonnet.
Edited by Norseman, Tue Jan 9, 2018 1:59 am.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Norseman
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I am going to give up on this and just put the Instrument Cluster in. It definitely isn't just the bulb so I might be able to sort the CEL issue out another time. This is not an easy car to work on under the dash. The styrofoam bar is a major hinderence to seeing under the dash and looks to be a PITA to remove. Perhaps if I removed the driver's seat I might be able to get underneath the dash.This is my most recent Mercedes and it sure is a complex and difficult vehicle to work on compared to my 3 previous MB's.

Norseman
Part of things
[ *  * ]
As mentioned in my previous postings the bulb is good and the bulb holder is good. No power to the bulb when the ignition is on? I removed the styrofoam bolster with a 10mm racket wrench (not a bad job) so visibility under the dash is good. The wires for the CEL seems to just disappear into the jumble of wires possibly headed towards the ignition switch which might be a possibility. I examined the electrical schematics but can seem to find where the CEL wires go after leaving the Instrument Cluster. Any help appreciated.

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Is IT supose to have power before its a fault? Never tought about if i have seen IT in any of mine...

Norseman
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Thanks but perhaps I wasn't clear. When the ignition key is turned to "ON" and before the engine is started the warning lights come on to inform that they are operational. This is my situation; the CEL does not glow when ignition is "ON". There is no power to the bulb. I suspect that the problem is in the computer but I would like to be ale to track the path of the wires before going the route of replacing that item. Any more help appreciated.

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Understand what you say, but became unsure if "check engine" glows... I will i look at one of mine next time i am close to one...
Edited by Twin turbo, Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm.

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Where is the light? I cant see any on my 16v...

Norseman
Part of things
[ *  * ]
The red lens "CHECK ENGINE" light on my 1990 2.6 is in the lower right hand corner of the instrument cluster.

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I only had battery lamp when turned ignition on... So maybe missing abit on that 16v too lmao

Norseman
Part of things
[ *  * ]
The silence on this forum is truly deafening....😕

G3MAW
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Apologies for the apparent lack of responses , Norseman. Think the problem arises from the “transatlantic” spec of your vehicle. Usual indicator lamps for petrol versions on this side of the ‘Pond’ are:
Blue - main beam on
Reds - battery charge , brake fluid low, defective air bag
Yellow - brake pads, low engine oil, low coolant level, ads, low windscreen washer, abs defective.
But no “ Check Engine “ light.
So maybe best to check out an American user manual to clarify the purpose/function of this item.
Hope this helps.

Norseman
Part of things
[ *  * ]
G3MAW, Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking that this being a North American spec 190E it might be different that the Euro/GB soecl units. I have not been having any better luck from the US Mercedes forums unless I post to the W124 models with the 2.6 engine which seem to have a more involved followers.
Edited by Norseman, Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 pm.

Twin turbo
Part of things
[ *  * ]
G3MAW
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:26 pm
Apologies for the apparent lack of responses , Norseman. Think the problem arises from the “transatlantic” spec of your vehicle. Usual indicator lamps for petrol versions on this side of the ‘Pond’ are:
Blue - main beam on
Reds - battery charge , brake fluid low, defective air bag
Yellow - brake pads, low engine oil, low coolant level, ads, low windscreen washer, abs defective.
But no “ Check Engine “ light.
So maybe best to check out an American user manual to clarify the purpose/function of this item.
Hope this helps.
Was thinking this might be the problem... I have looked at a couple of mine, and havent found any check engine light :blink:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys