Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Abs light on - common causes?
Topic Started: Tue Jan 9, 2018 3:14 pm (317 Views)
first190resto
Part of things
[ *  * ]
So yesterday evening after a a short stint on the m25, my ABS light came on...
So, my Iíve done abit of research and it all seems abit unclear so far.
Are there any common things that can turn the light on? I was going to just bleed the brakes anyway and also clean and remove the sensors. Are there any other simple things I can try?
Also am I right in thinking there is no immediate risk to driving the car with an abs fault? To my understanding if it detects a fault it just turns the abs off?
(Have checked around the car for leaks and obvious issues and I canít find anything blatant)

Cheers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dinobyn
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
One of my 190's would sometimes judder badly when breaking even if at walking pace, ie the ABS was kicking in. When I had my indie look at it we found the sensors needed replacing and the idiot before had removed the ABS bulb to hide it. I had new front sensors fitted as a clean wouldn't cure it. Best to get to the bottom when it's brakes.

stwat
Member Avatar

Are your battery and alternator in good nick? A faulty OVP relay can also throw up the ABS light. Either dry cracked solder on the pcb of blown fuse on the top of it.

first190resto
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Thatís really a pretty nasty thing to do, removing the bulb to sell the sell the car! I agree Iíll get on it! - cheers

Battery was new in summer, same for the alternator regulator (although not the whole alternator) good point on the OVP.. it did blow a fuse in summer, hopefully that wasnít a hint at its Health! And excuse my ignorance, but what & where is the PCB? And what sort of fuse is that?

Cheers guys!

ConorD
Claiming Newbie status still
[ *  *  * ]
Simply cleaning the sensors might do it. Also if there's a lot of dirt or even rust on the ABS ring (a kind of castellated ring, if you're not familiar with it) it can cause problems.

Best Regards,
Conor

Dubsouth
[ * ]
Believe it or not on mine one, someone before me put the windscreen wash bulb wiring back the wrong way. Soon realised I didn't have an ABS fault when I topped up my washer fluid. Worth a check!

stwat
Member Avatar

first190resto
Tue Jan 9, 2018 11:05 pm
Thatís really a pretty nasty thing to do, removing the bulb to sell the sell the car! I agree Iíll get on it! - cheers

Battery was new in summer, same for the alternator regulator (although not the whole alternator) good point on the OVP.. it did blow a fuse in summer, hopefully that wasnít a hint at its Health! And excuse my ignorance, but what & where is the PCB? And what sort of fuse is that?

Cheers guys!
Sorry, i meant the circuit board in the OVP. The solder joints dry up and crack after so many heat cycles over the years. The fuse is on top of the OVP. It is a 10a blade type fuse.

aemt
Serial 190E Owner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
OVP or front wheel sensors.

It cannot hurt to get a spare OVP to test with as they are prone to failure when you least expect. Test the existing fuse on top in case it has blown. I always have a spare relay in the car together with fuel pump relay.

Clean the front wheel sensors which get caked in hardened brake dust.

first190resto
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I actually would really like to get my hands on a spare OVP and Fuel relay. Where can I get hold of a decent example? Are they extortionate?

And yeah will start with the basics and if I have no luck Iíll check out the relays.. letís hope I just need to clean a sensor!

What shall I clean the sensors with? Wd40 on some blue roll okay?

Cheers chaps

JustbeCoz
Part of things
[ *  * ]
You can clean the sensors with whatever comes to hand, brake cleaner, wheel cleaner etc.
You can also check the resistance of the sensors at the two pin plug on the inside of the each front wheel arch to make sure the wiring and coils are ok.( Big round black rubber plugs) . Can't remember the ohm's but they should both read about the same.
Even if the regulator was changed don't rule out that as a possible source of problems as they come in varying qualities and a bad one will pass problems on to the ovp as it tries to stop an over voltage condition. Jump starting can also blow the OVP fuses.
There are some relays under the black cover on the ABS unit itself accessed by removing the torx screws. They don't often give trouble but it's worth checking the connecting pins for corrosion. The ABS control ECU is also in a vulnerable position if the drain at the wing side of the battery is blocked and water runs into the battery box area.

Big Ben
Member Avatar
Sneaky 2.5-16 Driver!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Front sensors should read between 1100 and 2300 Ohms tested with a multimeter. Optimally they should be 1500 Ohms. Make sure you test across the lead that goes to the sensors! ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys