Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1994 W124 E320 Coupe
Topic Started: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 am (554 Views)
JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
I have finally bought a 24v W124 Coupe to replace my E46 BMW for daily duties. My buying criteria were: no windscreen delimitation, inevitable M104 wiring loom and head gasket issues solved or not present, I ideally wanted one with the 4 speed auto and no rust! What I've bought is this 1994 E320, which has had the wiring loom replaced, and head gasket, water pump and timing chain replaced at 144k. It's also had both windscreens replaced and a glass out re-paint.

Obviously its on Irish plates, but was originally a UK car and will soon be back on its L reg. It's not perfect, the interior needs a little work, and it needs a good service as its only done 900 miles in the last 3 years but its really solid underneath, and the previous owner has gone to good length to present it really well. everything has been cleaned, treated and painted, which is nice to see. Hopefully it doesn't blow up and send my opinion of W124s through the floor but as of now I think its superb. It drives really well, rides beautifully, has ample performance and subtle refinements that are missing from a W201. I still prefer 190s, but I shall not suffer in discomfort!

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_d09 by Jack O, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_d03 by Jack O, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_d06 by Jack O, on Flickr

Posted ImageHSIMkMhSRO6Jc2rvwX49Tg by Jack O, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2340 by Jack O, on Flickr

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Full marks Jack; lovely car. Don't be getting old before your time though!

James

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Thanks James, hopefully not just yet! :lol:

Paulossie
Member Avatar
Potato

Wow great condition, lovely classy car.

Chunk
Member Avatar
Spammer Zapper

Very nice. If I ever get a 124, it will be a coupe

rhysmangatmotorsport
Member Avatar
Mangatmotorsport
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks lovely Jack, w124s are fantastic cars rockon

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Thanks chaps, I'm really looking forward to getting to know the W124 model a bit better - and hopefully that M104 will be as reliable as the 190s ive owned!

JustbeCoz
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Nice Jack, do you want to swap looms........

Daveycooper
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
This is the ďother mercĒ Iíd like to own! Re the work done to it - sounds like its been properly maintained

stwat
Member Avatar

That is lovely :) :driver:

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Daveycooper
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 pm
This is the ďother mercĒ Iíd like to own! Re the work done to it - sounds like its been properly maintained
I'd like to think so, it's not perfect but all of the fundamental stuff has been done which is what I was most concerned about. It's a classy looking car, but the 190E won't be giving up its space in the garage for it! (Unless those pillarless windows decide to leak :lol: )

R19YSM
[ * ]
Looks great Jack, congrats.

Out of interest, what interior does it have? Grey leather?

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
No itís beige / Mushroom leather Rhys. Sadly not heated!

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Thought I'd add a little more to this thread about my W124. As soon as the registration was sorted, I had the car serviced and put it straight in to daily use - 2 days in and the radiator blew... My new coolant was all over the A617, which was inconvenient. Anyway, a new Hella rad (£112), some more MB anti freeze and all was well.

I have also had a set of 8 holes powder coated and shod with Conti tyres, the 15 holes the car was on were wrong for a 320 with Sports Chassis and the tyres weren't even the right size... They're 6.5J wheels and are in great condition, so I will put some winter tyres on them for next year.

the only other thing I have had done is the leather cleaned and fed, usually this is a nice job to do yourself but someone has previously re-coloured the leather with what was evidently the wrong colour dye. none of the off the shelf products would touch it, so I had it done professionally. The leather is still not perfect, but much better than it was. I think if I continue to feed it, it will improve slightly more.

Regardless, so far I'm finding the big coupe an almost perfect daily car, a much better all rounder than the E46 it replaced.

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_eba by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_ebc by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_ed4 by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted ImagefMYRj0lyQAOlQrA8tdAtng by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Image5bRRT6MWQDuGmpiFro03iQ by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_ec2 by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_ec4 by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_eca by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_ed0 by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Posted Imagefullsizeoutput_ecc by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

Daveycooper
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Please stop putting photos of this car up.....itís making me ever so jealous!
Glad itís working as a daily driver.
Alloys look great, really set off the car correctly.

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Daveycooper
Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:24 pm
Please stop putting photos of this car up.....itís making me ever so jealous!

Everything has a price! :lol: :lol:

Brown Bag
Member Avatar
Persistent Annoyance
[ *  * ]
JackOBrien
Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:31 pm
I have also had a set of 8 holes powder coated and shod with Conti tyres, the 15 holes the car was on were wrong for a 320 with Sports Chassis and the tyres weren't even the right size... They're 6.5J wheels and are in great condition, so I will put some winter tyres on them for next year.
It needs some 7J 8-holes!

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Brown Bag
Fri Apr 6, 2018 5:17 pm
JackOBrien
Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:31 pm
It needs some 7J 8-holes!
They are 7J, with 205/60R15 tyres. The 15 holes I removed were 6.5J with 205/55R15 tyres - the correct size for that wheel being 195/65R15.

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
I'll be selling this car very soon, I cant part with my 190 - so this will be going instead. Message me if you're interested, if not it will probably go through Brightwells in May....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Defectors Section. Show Off Your "other" Car · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys