Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wheel refurb..paint or powder coat?
Topic Started: Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:47 pm (377 Views)
Cockney21
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I'm tempted to get my wheels refurbed. The are all in good condition but the paint, which I think is original, looks to be getting thin on some of the edges. There seems to be the option of paint or powder coat or powder coat primer with paint finish.

I'm leaning more to the powder coat primer with paint finish to make sure I can get the original colour and the centre caps to match (as they are plastic I can't see how they can be powder coated).

Also any good reports on where to get done. I'm looking at Lepsons in Kent at the moment, not the cheapest but seem to offer a good service.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think powder coating will melt plastic. You may also be colour limited with powder coating too.

dingdong
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Hiya
I had my wheels powder coated about a month ago ,they turned out great ( I think anyway ) a company in Crawley .
Posted Image

JackOBrien
Member Avatar
VAG Parts bin refugee
[ *  * ]
Iíve had both the 15 holes on my 190 and the 8 holes on my W124 powder coated with very good results. I showed the guy the centre caps and I donít know what he did but the match is basically perfect. I know they were painted from factory, but in theory powder coating should be more hard wearing and long lasting. Thatís my reasoning anyway...

horatio
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I had 2 of mine refurbed (along with 2 from another merc) in a powder coat finish.

The colour match is so close to the original that you can't spot the centre cap difference unless you really look closely. I was charged £60 per wheel inc removing & refitting the tyre and they did a really good job - autowiz in Welwyn GC.

Hu99u
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
I've had wheels both powder coated and sprayed and they both have very good end results and the garage that sprayed the wheels also sprayed the center caps. In regards to durability they powder coat was a much stronger option, the coat is much less fragile and less likely to chip and the garage I used power coated them to the exact colour 744.

Bradders
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Assuming a garage local to us ? How much did powder coating cost ?

Hu99u
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Bradders
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:53 pm
Assuming a garage local to us ? How much did powder coating cost ?
I've forgotten the price but it was Wheel Worx down the hythe, was about £250 ish for 5 alloys including balancing and putting the tyres I'd supplied on.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Wheels & Tyres · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys