Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Adjusting Ride Height...; The Old Fashion Way
Topic Started: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:01 pm (227 Views)
RicerDude
[ * ]
Very recently I fitted a brand new Bilstein B12 kit (Eibach pro kit springs and Bilstein B6 dampers) to my 190E 2.0.

Very satisfied with the transformation in terms of handling, not so much with the appearance of the car.
Previously I had a set of APEX lowering springs on the car, i really liked the height of the car with them on but the ride was dreadful.

Posted Image

So, the question is would it be 'advisable' to lower the car to my desired height by cutting the Eibach springs?
I will probably only have to remove half a coil or so as its only a little too high.
Do I risk ruining the characteristics of the spring by cutting them slightly?
I assume the dampers will be OK as they're designed to be used with lowering springs.
Many Thanks,
Harvey

Edited by RicerDude, Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chunk
Member Avatar
Spammer Zapper

I wouldn't cut the springs

What drop are the springs?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liam.Moran
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
just to double check the b12 kit is the b8 dampers and -40mm eibach springs, the B6 is a standard length damper made for standard springs whereas the b8 is shorter for lowering springs.
Edited by Liam.Moran, Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 pm.

RicerDude
[ * ]
Chunk
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 pm
I wouldn't cut the springs

What drop are the springs?
They're the 'up to 40mm' lowering springs

RicerDude
[ * ]
Liam.Moran
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 pm
just to double check the b12 kit is the b8 dampers and -40mm eibach springs, the B6 is a standard length damper made for standard springs whereas the b8 is shorter for lowering springs.
You're right! B8 dampers

Chunk
Member Avatar
Spammer Zapper

Could you get bigger drop springs? Keep the set that come off just in case
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liam.Moran
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
RicerDude
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:37 pm
Liam.Moran
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 pm
You're right! B8 dampers
awesome, just checking :)

I'm running b8's and eibach -40mms too, I like the ride height, lower but not slammed... might be worth looking at lower spring pads and/or H&r springs, lot of people here like those

RicerDude
[ * ]
Thanks for the advice guys. Think I'll run it how it is for a while and see how I feel, maybe I'm just used to the 'stanced' look of the APEX springs.
The last thing I want to do is mess up a decent set of springs.

sharpandroid
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I have a set of Eibach on my 2.6, i'm not happy with the nose down stance even thought it has the largest pads up front and the smallest pads in the rear, It is too softon the front, I should have bought H&Rs.
Whats wrong with the Apex ride quality?

YOREVOL
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I had eibach on mine, too low with 4 notch front and 3 notch rear spring pads.
Gone to sportline now and it's a lot better, but I'm still not happy.
I've got a set of eibach for a w124 e320 that are about 1 inch longer than the w201s I removed. Going to fit them soon. May need to adjust with different pads.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suspension & Chassis · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys