Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
190 2.5d Suspension; Weak coild spring
Topic Started: Wed May 2, 2018 12:16 pm (162 Views)
machaulage
Tom190 D
[ *  * ]
Looking for advice on front suspension as the o/s/f wheel seems to be chaffing the rim on edge of wing hence damage wing. Would this be a problem with the coil spring broken/weak or suspension strut. Looking for advice before I start to investigate.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
This is a weird one. Has the car got the wrong springs (i.e. too short), or wheel rims that are too wide?

machaulage
Tom190 D
[ *  * ]
No its got same tyres on which leads me to believe its a weak coul spring. It seems to do it when on full lock.

db190
Part of things
[ *  * ]
A weak spring would show signs of sagging, same if a coil is broken.

Are you sure that you haven't snapped the bottom of the spring and cause it to sit "pissed"?
Have you checked the condition of the wishbones and the balljoint?
Could also be where the shock is mounted to the hub.
Does this happen when you're driving only or when you're stationary?

you're best bet is to get the car in the air, take the wheel off and have a look at what might be out of place.
Edited by db190, Wed May 2, 2018 4:13 pm.

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Broken spring at a guess.

machaulage
Tom190 D
[ *  * ]
Yes thatís my intention get it up in air wheel of and check it over

500man
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Had pretty much the same problem on mine when you turned hard with someone in front of car turned out to be spring so I replaced front springs and shocks also top mounts sits perfect now

machaulage
Tom190 D
[ *  * ]
500man
Wed May 2, 2018 9:00 pm
Had pretty much the same problem on mine when you turned hard with someone in front of car turned out to be spring so I replaced front springs and shocks also top mounts sits perfect now
Yes will do a replacement of springs and shocks.Thank

shrekky
Member Avatar
Troll hunter
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
it could actually be a weak shocker, the shock absorbers on these cars have a internal valve which quite often fails, if it fails one way the car will sit to low and rub on wheel arches when cornering, as the fluid cant return from the top 1/2 of the shocker. if it fails the other way the strength of the spring pushes the nose of the car right up in the air, as the fluid flows freely between the top and bottom halves...................this is what make standard suspension on mercs feels like it wallows about as opposed to being sharp with a quick bounce ;)

Edited by shrekky, Mon May 7, 2018 10:07 am.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suspension & Chassis · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys