Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Squeaky blower motor
Topic Started: Wed May 9, 2018 9:57 pm (154 Views)
Tommy190
[ * ]
I've got squeaky blower motor. I see there is an excellent guide to removing the motor on the forum and I presume the squeak is from dry bearings on the motor.

My question is,

Once the motor is out whats the best way to lubricate the bearing surfaces and what is the best lubricant?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Daliscar
Member Avatar
Always On The Ball
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Light machine oil.
Itís a fairly simple job, just mind you donít bust the black plastic grille as it can be a bit brittle.
You might find that the most effective way of stopping the squeak is to replace the motor.

stwat
Member Avatar

If there is any play in the bearings, you may as well replace it whilst you have it all stripped apart.
Edited by stwat, Wed May 9, 2018 10:59 pm.

Tommy190
[ * ]
Ok.will have a go at relubing 1st. At least it is fairly easy to get to, I've had to dismantle dashboards on some vehicles!

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
Daliscar is right about the plastic panels being brittle, and they are a sod to get out and put in. Don't do the job if you've not got much time or you'll lose your sanity.
I got a cheap blower motor from Euro Car Parts for my old 190D and it was a bit of a noisy thing, so I got what I paid for.

My next bit of maintenance is a dash-out job - heater matrix needs replacing. I've done one before, and that's why I'm putting it off. Life's too short!
Edited by Greek Taxi, Thu May 10, 2018 11:34 am.

aemt
Serial 190E Owner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Easiest just to swap the motor out. Not expensive and takes about 45 minutes.

MercManCraig
Member Avatar
Craig
[ *  *  * ]
Replacing it is all well and good but the replacement motors are no where near the quality of the originals. It might be different over the course of the models but on my 1993 non aircon car the blower motor motor simply had two phosphor bronze bushes at each end. If the car sits unused for an extended period like mine had in high humidity the built up corrosion between metals makes a racket from there forward. Mine was actually completely siezed to the shaft so I had to remove it and work it loose with WD40. once it got moving though a quick wipe and a squirt of light oil on each end and it's been whisper quiet ever since.

Tommy190
[ * ]
Agreed craig re pattern parts, I'm going to attempt a repair first. Really want to try ro keep it original or only replace with merc parts. The reason these cars have such a good rep for reliabilty is because of the quality of the original engineering.

Greek taxi, which plastic panal do I need to take care with?

Greek Taxi
Member Avatar
More than part of things
[ *  *  * ]
The honeycomb leaf-catching thing that runs the width of the bulkhead, beneath the wiper. It has me swearing every time.
Edited by Greek Taxi, Thu May 10, 2018 5:55 pm.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys