Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
16v flat spot/jerky at low rpm
Topic Started: Thu Jun 7, 2018 10:32 pm (160 Views)
Daviekiwi
[ * ]
Hi all, my 190 has a flat spot and is jerky between 1500 and 2000 rpm ,so a bit tricky for town driving!
starts, idles and drives fine after 2000 rpm, you can drive around it if you feather throttle. model is 1986 2.3 16v.
checked basics and fuel mixture which was weak, but turning mixture screw will not richen mixture.
any ideas, before i get stuck in?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

optimusprime
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Dvie This might be your potentiomiter it will give this problem of loss of throttle . You can get them of Ebay at a fraction of the cost of a genuine bosch one . And if it goes after 12 months you can buy 10 of them for the price of an original one. Check this out .You need to Google this -
In the search box put Bosch CIS-E AirFlow Sensor Potentiomiter Replacment and Adjustment . this will show the right way to change it .And adjust it after .
Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by optimusprime, Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:29 pm.

Daviekiwi
[ * ]
nice one! i will check that out.

barretts02
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I've got a 2.3-16 as well with engine issues. I can't replicate exactly what you're experiencing because I can only rev it in the garage, still very much SORNed. I've got a flat spot at about those revs as well, albeit unloaded so I guess not a fair comparison. Does it bog down when you floor it from idle? That's the problem I've got. It'll rev up nicely if you press on the accelerator slowly from idle, but it bogs down when you floor it from idle, so much it often stalls. If I floor it above 2000rpm it seems ok. (Yes I'm probably that yobbo everyone in the neighbourhood hates!)

I'll be following this thread as well to see if you manage to solve it and what the problem was. I read someone had a similar problem to me and it turned out to be the injectors. My new injectors have arrived this week but I forgot to order the new seals so I'll be doing that as soon as possible.

Thanks optimus for that advice. I'll check that out as well. Nothing sweeter than the sound of a 16v running as it should.
Edited by barretts02, Fri Jun 8, 2018 9:19 pm.

bhigbhoy
Part of things
[ *  * ]
had the same sort of issues.....mine was the fuel distributor!!!needed refurbed,sent to bosch in germany to do the work...got car back today pulls like a train and the idling issue has been resolved also :) merparts in glasgow done all the work...brilliant guys and know there stuff!!!!

barretts02
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Ah. Hoping it's not the fuel distributor, that sounds expensive!
How much was it for a full refurb if you don't mind me asking?

nsx_j
Member Avatar
James
[ *  * ]
Apologies to bhigbhoy for pre-empting his response but I recently had mine refurbed at KMI here in England and it was more or less 400.

optimusprime
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
If you go down the line of fuel distributor .First you need to do a fuel pressure test . And every merc i have had with problems like members are having it turned out to be electrical every time . Strange but its only been one thing , the ht leads faulty . On the merc all the part of the ht leads all screw together , worth looking at them first . But if you have the old type strobe light pop it on see if its missing on tick over. Another check was to look under the bonnet in the dark for shorting at the ht leads or the coil . I picked up a pen type tester ,but you can get a few types of these you just touch the ht lead and look for a break down of the spark in the tool .Check all fuses in the fuse box along with all the earth points you can see ,remove the bolt that holds the earth to both body and the engine ,clean both and grease them and then replace .

Daviekiwi
[ * ]
New ht leads, distributor cap and rotor have been fitted. plugs look new but might fit another set anyway.
as suggested i'm going to check the pot , as my old 205 gti had a very similar fault and was afm pot worn.
then probably remove fuel mixture control tower and check it's turning inside.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys