Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Photobucket
Welcome to Mercedes-190.co.uk

We are the Mercedes 190 owners forum, the place to be for all owners and fans of the Mercedes 190E, 190 and 190D cars. Including Cosworth (2.3 16v and 2.5 16v), EVO 1 and EVO 2 models. Modified and concourse, track cars and daily drivers, all are welcome.

This free UK based forum was started back in November 2005 to serve the Mercedes 190 W201 community and now has over 9000 members from all around the world and 600,000 + posts.

The members welcome you and encourage you to stay a while and have a look around.
We offer you friendly chat and access to some very useful information as well as tutorials with photos and videos for many common repair and maintenance jobs.
Whatever your needs there is a good chance you will be able to find what your looking for. Such as our Mercedes 190 buyers guide

Sign up to gain access to all areas including for sale / classified areas and country wide meetings and events. Many forum features and sections are only available once you sign up.

Join our forum at mercedes-190.co.uk!

If you're already a member please log in to your account:

**New members signing up**
please check your junk mail for the email authorization email
otherwise we cannot verify your new account.
I have noticed a lot of unauthorized accounts in the system.
Regards
Admin

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Single DIN Radio that looks classy
Topic Started: Fri Jun 8, 2018 9:13 pm (273 Views)
Light
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I'm looking to replace my Becker radio with something that has bluetooth and has the ability to skip tracks using the buttons. However, I don't want to look like some boy racer which a lot of radios look like nowadays. Any recommendations for something with a bit of class but bang up to date features?
Edited by Light, Fri Jun 8, 2018 9:13 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

barretts02
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Becker make some with bluetooth that look quite OEM, infact I believe they are OEM for some class marques.
They might be getting on a bit now, I guess most manufacturers are moving from single din to different sizes.

The Becker Indianapolis Pro 7950 has bluetooth and MP3 playback, amongst other things. Might be worth checking out.

Light
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Had a quick google, apparently Becker don't make head units for the aftermarket anymore. Ebay is showing up results for around 400, which is a little too hard to swallow.

MercManCraig
Member Avatar
Craig
[ *  *  * ]
Continental radios is about as close as you'll get without breaking the bank, full bluetooth/handfree support.
kienzle too but they seem to have stopped making the older model that looks nice for a silly chromy thing.

Also worth mentioning none of those have a pre amp out so i couldn't run one in my w202 with the factory bose amp/sub setup :crying:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by MercManCraig, Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:47 pm.

mika
Member Avatar
Travelling without moving
[ *  * ]
Light
Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:21 pm
Had a quick google, apparently Becker don't make head units for the aftermarket anymore. Ebay is showing up results for around 400, which is a little too hard to swallow.
Would you consider Blaupunkt
They have new kit which isn't too garish in terms of appearance?

Light
Part of things
[ *  * ]
MercManCraig
Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:44 pm
Continental radios is about as close as you'll get without breaking the bank, full bluetooth/handfree support.
kienzle too but they seem to have stopped making the older model that looks nice for a silly chromy thing.

Also worth mentioning none of those have a pre amp out so i couldn't run one in my w202 with the factory bose amp/sub setup :crying:
That looks great, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I've found it on German ebay so I'll ask the bloke some questions about skipping tracks using the buttons on the radio and if it will power up my antenna, unless you know?

EDIT: Does the backlight dim at night? According to some forum, it doesn't and bright interiors really grind my gears.
Edited by Light, Fri Jun 8, 2018 11:31 pm.

MercManCraig
Member Avatar
Craig
[ *  *  * ]
I've no idea about the Continental but the kienzle ones do dim and operate the antenna as they should.

Light
Part of things
[ *  * ]
MercManCraig
Sat Jun 9, 2018 2:03 pm
I've no idea about the Continental but the kienzle ones do dim and operate the antenna as they should.
I can't find the Kienzle one anywhere so I've sent an email to continental about theirs, hopefully they can clear it up.
Edited by Light, Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:50 pm.

shampooefficient
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Those Continental ones look terrific! Definitely on the shopping list when I get round to building the project...

Light
Part of things
[ *  * ]
shampooefficient
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:12 pm
Those Continental ones look terrific! Definitely on the shopping list when I get round to building the project...
The only issue that I've found is that they're only available abroad. If anyone has some questions they wish to ask about the radio but can't speak German, I can speak a little if you ask me to translate. There might be someone fluent here however.

Light
Part of things
[ *  * ]
https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/dab-radio-s/1658-continental-12v-dab-radio-cd-rds-usb-mp3-wma-bluetooth-orange-backlight.html?search_query=TRD7412UB%E2%80%93OR&results=1

This is where I bought it from. The site is all in English, except the terms and conditions but google translate does a good job. I'll put some pictures/videos up of the radio itself when it's all in. Unfortunately, it's very expensive, hopefully I'll get at least 30 years out of it like the one that's currently in my car.
Edited by Light, Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 pm.

Daveycooper
Member Avatar
Part of things
[ *  * ]
I like the look of these continentals, and with dab! Will make note for future radio upgrade

Cockney21
Part of things
[ *  * ]
You sometimes get lucky with the Becker Grand Prix 7990 on Ebay. I bought a broken one for 80, and 60 to get it fixed. The amp chips fail on them but easy repair...just a bit of a risk if something major.

shampooefficient
Part of things
[ *  * ]
Light
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 pm
https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/dab-radio-s/1658-continental-12v-dab-radio-cd-rds-usb-mp3-wma-bluetooth-orange-backlight.html?search_query=TRD7412UB%E2%80%93OR&results=1

This is where I bought it from. The site is all in English, except the terms and conditions but google translate does a good job. I'll put some pictures/videos up of the radio itself when it's all in. Unfortunately, it's very expensive, hopefully I'll get at least 30 years out of it like the one that's currently in my car.
Looking forward to the photos of it installed - currently wondering how far to go with upgrading the project car.

Something to do with a 450 mile round trip with a tape player and two crackly speakers last weekend.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · In Car Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Email me if anyone replys